We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OC Maryland changes open container law

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
OC Maryland changes open container law

OCEAN CITY, Md. - Ocean City, Md., has changed the rules for carrying an open container of alcohol in public.

The Baltimore Sun reported the town council unanimously passed an ordinance Monday that changes the punishment for having an open alcohol container in public from a municipal infraction to a misdemeanor offense.

The new ordinance took effect immediately, giving police officers the ability, but not the mandate, to arrest people drinking outside.

Read more: wgal.com/news/…ixzz1yGOKfrpH

Edited: 19 June 2012, 19:00
Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

2 or 3 years it was changed from a misdemeanor to a municipal infraction.............obviously due to the lack of maturity of the general public it had to be changed back.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

Yes this has been all over the TV news, complete with interviews of disgruntled imbibers. One opinion: "Punish the irresponsible, but leave the [discreet, well behaved] quaffers alone."

As tfunky noted, this gives cops the authority but not the mandate to enforce the law....but yes, you can now be arrested and carted off to jail. So behave!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

I agree, there's a lot of 'lack of maturity' going on now in OC. Another reason might be, as a municipal infraction you're given a piece of paper to pay your fine with a misdemeanor you're given a court date - no show, no pay, no renew your license or registration (In Maryland).

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

This was recommended by the police chief. I'm sure it is because of the problems. I don't drink on the beach, but I really hope they don't embarass somebody trying to enjoy a few on the beach discreetly. I have seen in the past the beach patrol approach people and tell them that it is illegal to drink on the beach and leave it at that. There is absolutely no need to walk around the Town with an open container.

The most shocking part of the entire article is that the city council voted unanimously to approve anything. I thought everything down there was a 4-3 vote!!! Maybe there is hope for our President and this Congress!!! I do love Council's pro tourism spin that the cops have the authority but not the mandate to enforce the law. They seem to be saying... wink, wink..don't drink on the beach but if you behave we won't bug you. I'm not sure how that works. "We are passing a law but we may or may not enforce it".

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

oceancity.com/content/forum/something-i-saw-…

Check this out from another forum........real mature.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

I agree with the guy who said, "go in the ocean".

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

So if I was a small town OC lawyer I'd be celebrating this as an easy paycheck. Get ready for an increase in lodging taxes to pay the bill for the lack of vision.

e.g. "Your honor, my client is latino and was arrested when officer X enforced the law against my client, but did not enforce against white guy Y or Z..."

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

Apparently the fine is $200 - unless you pay within 48 hrs, then its $100.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

Intrepid.......you obviously haven't spent much time on the Eastern Shore.Things really don't work that way down here.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: OC Maryland changes open container law

Yea...on the Eastern Shore if you are a minority you won't find an attorney to defend you!!!

Take it easy....it's just a joke!! Sort of!

I do see Intrepids point. Why pass a law and then let people know you are going to selectively enforce it. I realize that it may depend upon the severity of the offense but the "not mandated to enforce it" shouldn't be mentioned in my opinion.