We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embers or Phillips ?

new york
Level Contributor
218 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Embers or Phillips ?

For seafood buffet opinions please. Embers or Phillips, which is better. Also, I'm confused, Phillips Crab house and Phillips Seafood house, are they just different locations but same menu?

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

Here's my experience with Phillips. I've tried the one on 141st St. twice, and both times it was horrible. The crab legs were small and rubbery and the rest of the food was about as bad as it could possibly be. The seats and tables were sticky, and we just had a terrible experience and felt we'd wasted our money.

Then we went to the one on 21st St. I couldn't get past the damp, musty, basement mold smell when we walked in (of course it was just after it opened for the season so that could be the reason) and we turned around and left. Never ate there. But there are many, many people who like it.

Embers is smaller, but the last two times we've dined there the food was good, the crablegs hot and crisp and fresh.

For me though, if you're going to do a buffet, I think Horizon's inside the Clarion Hotel is the best all around. Bonfire isn't bad, but you have to hit it on a good night.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

I have never been to Phillips but their poor reputation speaks for itself despite the horrifically long lines to get into the place.

I went to Embers a few years ago and it wasn't too bad. I am just not a buffet guy, especially seafood buffets.

But still, I would go to Embers.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

Agree with Momoo about Clarion. Not a fan of either Phillips or Embers.

While it's not a buffet, I've found Waterman's (on Route 50 just prior to entering OC) to be pretty good place for seafood.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

Never been to Embers but it can't possibly be as bad as Phillips. We tried them in both OC locations, Baltimore Inner Harbor, and Rockville, MD. Horrible food. You can get a wonderful meal that will leave you rocking back in your chair like post-Thanksgiving for about the same price at some non-buffet places in OC.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

Phillips gets my vote because they have the hard shell crabs on their buffet, Embers does not.

But both are good, Embers fresh cut prime rib has a edge over Phillips so either one is fine.

Bridgeport, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

We were just in OC in June and went to Embers. The food was hot, good and a great many choices to pick from. Just remember that it is a buffet and when you are cooking that amount of food in a short period of time, you are always going to loose something in the quality. We like it but when it does get busy, my husband and I feel like we are part of a herd of cattle and really don't enjoy the meal. Hard to get around people to get to where you are going in line. When we went in June there were no lines at all, of course it was when all the Seniors from High School were there and they cant afford '$30+ to eat there.

Uniontown...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

Phillips is much better than embers. been to both and embers is not nearly as good as it was years ago. Embers packs you in and it is hard to get around. plus when the crab legs come out, its hard to get them because everyone rushes to them all at once. But, if you are going to a buffet always go early-bird.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

Not a big fan of buffets because the food is never great, it's quanity over quality. We have eaten at Philipps, 21st st(sit down menu ) and enjoyed it and also had drinks at the piano bar and enjoyed that as well.

9. Re: Embers or Phillips ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:45
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City