We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
charleroi pa
1 post
Save Topic
Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

How long before the efforts sea watch is taking to clear out the bacteria will be seen. My vacation is in 2 weeks. I take coumadin and my son has a suppressed immune system. Century 21 New Horizons told me if I cancel I run the risk of losing my already paid in full vacation if the unit is not re rented and 16% if they do rent it. Either way I am out money. Will it be safe in 2 weeks.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

Call the health department. if it is not safe they would have to refund your money.

Ocean City
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

Will be interesting to see how this works out. Agree with Dude - best to call the health department and ask them for information on the safety aspect. Might also call the management office at the building and ask them what the current status is. I'm not a lawyer, and rental contracts vary, but suspect the owners/agency have an inherent obligation to deliver a safe place for you to stay. If they cannot (even though through no fault of their own), then I think you deserve a refund. Legionella is a naturally occuring bacteria that grows in water supplies; isn't any reflection on maintenance or cleanliness of the building. If they've treated it/flushed the systems out and the health department has said there is no danger, than I'd go and enjoy the stay. There are two players here, the rental company and the owner. Most rental companies offer trip insurance; assume you didn't take that coverage.

Ocean City
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

Story on http://www.wboc.com about this; (exact link to article doesn't work from this site).

Edited: 28 June 2012, 02:52
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

This is from yesterdays(6/2712) Daily Times, if it doesn't work, go to www.delmarvanow.com and put 'Sea Watch Legionnaire' in the search box: www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…

Unlike the Plim Plaza outbreak last fall, in which it was confirmed. The stance now is the incubation period is 10-14 days and at the Sea Watch one person stayed in the fall and one in the spring so it is inconclusivie if Sea Watch is the culprit. (?)

Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge of the Sea Watch or the Plim, only the news and 'thru friends'. I'm just suspicious on why the Plim was closed off for over a month, especially the south side. Did the persons staying there stay for 10-14 days? Find that hard to believe.

The Worcester Co. Health Dept phone #: 410/632-4321

Since the rental company is quoting the OP all the terms, maybe the OP should request the name/address/phone# of the owner and a list of the Board of Directors of the Sea Watch, including a copy of the 'clearance' letter from the Health Dept.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 10:05
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

Further reading:

delawareonline.com/article/…

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

CB refunded our deposit for the sea watch. According to the health dept. it will take months to verify that it is cleaned up. We are now staying at the Plaza.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

CB refunded our deposit for the sea watch. According to the health dept. it will take months to verify that it is cleaned up. We are now staying at the Plaza.

Maryland
Level Contributor
436 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

New tests were done at the SeaWatch which show lower than expected levels of bacteria. The levels were low enough that a warning and investigation should never g=have been started in the first place. It was started because 1 person in the fall, and another in the spring came down with Legionairres, and they had both stayed in the SeaWatch. But I wonder how many other places, like restaurants ect, they might have gone to. But the good news is that even tho levels are considered acceptable, the SeaWatch is going ahead with a filtration system which will make their water the clanest in OC. It is supposed to be up and running within the next week or so. And just in case you are wondering, my daughter, and her family are there right now. This was info they got from a letter from SeaWatch management.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

I'm so happy you posted this. We own a unit in the Sea Watch and since our renter for this week cancelled, we decided to enjoy a week at the beach ourselves (we were also here two and a half weeks end of May/beginning of June). We are having a great time with LOTS of other renters and owners and no one is even talking about the bacteria. The weather is great, the water (ocean, pools, and drinking water) is refreshing and the resort is at its best for the holiday. I'm so happy we had another chance to enjoy our unit at the Sea Watch!

Edited: 01 July 2012, 23:45
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Watch and legionaires bacteria

Rockc123 - where did you get the info on the 'new' tests and the results? Can you please post the link here on this forum? Or did you hear from someone that info?

Who determined that the levels were low enough that an investigation and warnings should never have been started? Was that the Health Department?