We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

Montgomery Village...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

We will be heading into town for a few nights, and we would love some advice for our young family. We have a a 6, 3, and 1 year old...and we would love to know of your recommendations for things that would be age and size appropriate for the little ones....as well as things that are on the cheaper side or free side of things. We are on a tight budget for this mini vacation and just wanted to hit the beach once more before school started. Any advice would be appreciated. We will be there midweek. Thank you and blessings.

Binghamton, NY
Level Contributor
168 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

We are heading back to OC soon, also, and I've spent hours scouring the internet for the newest information. Here's some of what I've found:

ocvisitor.com;

ococean.com,oceancitymarylandblog.com (includes listing of free movie schedule);

octhebeach.com;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41298-s507/Ocean City:Maryland:Family.Friendly.Dining.html

Have you been to Assateague? Check out the info on what's there...lots to see and do. Our family loves it there, and you can really spend the whole day there (there is a beach and it's a lot less crowded than Ocean City, although you do have to be careful of the wild ponies roaming around. They are wild, even though they're really used to people being around). We mostly drive and walk around, seeing the various wildlife.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

Look to your right for Destination Experts, click on momoo's name and scroll down some of her recent posts regarding places to stay/cost.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

I would spend most of your day at the beach, its free and you can pack a lunch. Check your hotels lobby for coupons and decent food ideas for supper. Nothing too much in OC is cheap but you can still have fun.

Montgomery Village...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

Thanks for all of the advice. Will look through the coupons and such...even though we plan to be eating and making most of our meals. The pizzas there are just so expensive, and I hope that we'll find some coupons that can make it all manageable. But again, thanks for the advice. I know that nothing is too cheap in delmarva paradise, but just looking for those "holes in wall" and local secrets and bargains.

Clearfield, PA
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

Northside Park, around 125th St., has a really nice playground & Trimpers inside rides on the boardwalk are great for small kids-they also have some kids rides out back. They have wrist bands to help with the cost.

Mentioned in this post
Northside Park
Northside Park
636 Reviews
Ocean City, MD
New York
Level Contributor
989 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

I second the Assateague suggestion, they always have fun & reasonable things going on - crabbing, kayaking, etc.

We go to Macky's one night & make dinner out of the Happy Hour appy's. The kids love it too as there is a beach to splash around in while you wait.

We always use www.restaurant.com and save a bunch there.

Free fireworks, concerts and laser light shows on the boardwalk.

You should have a look at my previous posts as I have a bunch of budget-related questions that were answered with some awesome suggestions!!

Have fun!!

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
122 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

I really like the Econo Lodge on 145st....Ponzettis pizza next door down and reasonable...when my friends come into town this is where they stay. Also within 2 blocks are 3 mini-golfs, go carts, waterpark and Kohrs Bros.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 04:04
Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
371 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

I got to tell you I just got back and it is very very hard to not blow cash. All the free suggestions are correct. Buy some glow sticks at the dollar store and go crazy on the beach at night.

9. Re: Young family on a budget-advice requested please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City