We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horses at Assateague State Park in January

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
horses at Assateague State Park in January

My daughter and I will be near Baltimore for a weekend in January. My daughter loves horses. Would it be worth the 3 hour trip to go to Assateague State Park? Can you see horses in January?

Ocean City
Level Contributor
339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: horses at Assateague State Park in January

I'm not sure how best to advise you. The wild ponies live on the island year round, so they will be there somewhere. It is not always easy to find them; they used to hang out by the bridge where traffic comes in, but have been discouraged from that (visitors were being bitten/kicked when they tried to feed/pet them, they are wild animals) and they were not there last time we went. It can be fun to drive around and look for them, but if they are far away from the road you may not see them. Sometimes they are on the beach or by the road, sometimes not. There is a nice visitor's center with a movie about the ponies and the island, and a gift store with books about them and about Misty of Chincoteague (ponies that are auctioned off each year in VA). If you have days free, wouldn't hurt to drive down, stay in Ocean City overnight (off season rates are cheap) and enjoy the off season attractions, and fit in your visit to Assateague in there. Sometimes the guard at the park entrance can tell you where they are at that point. There are two parks, a state and national one; we usually drive through the national one but maybe others have more info on the pros and cons of each. Can't promise you would see the ponies, and visitors shouldn't try to get too close to them.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horses at Assateague State Park in January

I'm also thinking about visiting Assateague in MD next week, as well as Chincoteague in VA. Do you recommend any "can't miss" things to do/see at each park? Thanks!

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: horses at Assateague State Park in January

It's iffy as to whether you'll see horses or not. We were there a few weeks ago and didn't see one except for one lone pony about a half mile away. There are no guarantees that you'll see any. And Colliemom gave you some great advice. The Visitor Center at Assateague is really a nice place to visit.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: horses at Assateague State Park in January

In short....no. Not worth a six hour round trip drive. If you are vacationing down there that is one thing but in the words of Mr. Ed..."a horse is a horse of course of course".

baltimore
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: horses at Assateague State Park in January

My wife and I were in Assateqgue Park around New Years a week ago and saw plenty of horses in the park. Honestly, they were easy to find. When you look ahead and see stopped cars along the road, there are horses. They seem to appear in groups, No surprise.I like to see them in the winter, because you are not dealing with a lot of traffic like in the summer. A lot of people would get out of their cars to photograph them.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: horses at Assateague State Park in January

Thanks for the update aspen1, hoping to be in the area next week...

7. Re: horses at Assateague State Park in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City