We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance to the beach?

NEW JERSEY
Level Contributor
76 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Distance to the beach?

Hello Ocean City Experts,

Does anyone know how far the Hampton Inn and Suites is from the beach? Walking distance or does one need to definitely drive?

Thank you in advance for your help.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance to the beach?

The Hampton Inn is located on Coastal Highway on 43rd St. To get to the beach you will have to cross Coastal Highway and walk 2 blocks. But be careful because Coastal Highway is VERY dangerous in the summer. Be sure to ONLY cross at the crosswalks.

Ocean City is a barrier island, 10 miles long and little more than a quarter mile wide. It starts on the southern end at the inlet, (the boardwalk also begins here) then proceeds northward 10 miles to 144th St. and the Delaware line. The Atlantic Ocean is on the eastern side, and the Assawoman Bay is on the western side. The boardwalk ends at 27th St. But it doesn't matter where you stay in OC, you are always within a very short walk of the beach. You never need to drive your car from your hotel to the beach.

New York
Level Contributor
666 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance to the beach?

You can easily walk to the beach. Crossing the Coastal Highway is not all that dangerous MOST people make their way around town just fine.

Depends alot on when you plan to visit month and weekend or weekday. Cross with the lights, pay attention, don't try to cross after drinking to much and don't try to outrun oncoming cars and you will be fine.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance to the beach?

Yes you can easily walk to the beach but you need to be awake and obey traffic rules like bingo wrote.

3 people were struck by cars and killed last summer but 2 of those were not paying attention or just running out onto the road not obeying the sign.

NEW JERSEY
Level Contributor
76 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance to the beach?

Thanks so much for your replies they are very helpful. We are planning on visiting August 21 and leaving on August 23rd on our way back to NJ from Kings Dominion in VA. We visited OC, MD back in August 2007, I believe, and stayed at the Hilton Suites. Would love to stay there again but the rates are not in my budget right now. I did like the location of the Hilton Suites, is the Hampton Inn in the same general area?

Thanks again!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance to the beach?

I mapquested this for you.

http://mapq.st/ZbJYCV

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance to the beach?

Try the Spinnaker on 18th St. The rates are better, you'll get freebies, and it's just steps off the boardwalk and beach. Plus, it's in the quieter area of the boardwalk and within walking distance of some really good restaurants. It was completely redone last spring and very nice. No indoor pool though, but it does have an outdoor pool plus an in house cafe for breakfast and lunch. www.ocmotels.com/spinnaker

Or even the Grand Hotel on 21st, the Dunes Manor is exceptionally nice and every room is oceanfront, or if you want to stay in the 43rd St. area, the Atlantic Oceanfront Inn is on 43rd on the beach. It was recently bought by the Carousel Group and redone last season. Further up, I recommend the Holiday Inn Oceanfront on 67th St. Just some options.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 16:50
NEW JERSEY
Level Contributor
76 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance to the beach?

Thanks so much that was very helpful. We are only staying three nights. I guess I need to decide whether we want to spend more money on a hotel which has a good outdoor pool and just spend time during the day by the pool and on the beach. And save money by not going to a waterpark. Or stay somwhere that costs less and spend money for the waterpark and or water sports.

Thanks again.

8. Re: Distance to the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations