We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
681 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

We will be coming from a sports weekend in Philadelphia, to a vacation in Outer Banks 3rd weekend in June. Trying to add a stop in this area to see beach/ponies, as I notice it would be on the way. Depending on when we leave Philly on Sunday, may just have time for a break there (if we drive straight thru) or may consider an overnight which would give us a late evening and early morning there. Looks like a lot of the area is not accessible by car ... I see Chincotegue has accommodations close to the island, and not far off our route to get there, but I see the actual National Seashore is north of there (south of Ocean City). Any thoughts from those who have been/are from the area? Are areas closed certain hours? Is there a better time of the day/area to see ponies? (BTW like to go places on our own, not the tourist stuff;))

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Assateague Island National Seashore
Assateague Island...
878 Reviews
Assateague Island, MD
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

I assume you will driving south on 13 through Delaware to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Assateague is a National Park with nice hiking trails and beach access. http://www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm I always see horses when I visit. It is close to Ocean City which is a tourist area. Chincoteague is a nice little town in a very rural area.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
681 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

So I would have to go to the ocean city area then, correct?

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

You are correct that your two choices are the Ocean City area or the Chincoteague VA area. The Ocean City area is the Maryland District. We have been there many times in the summer. There is a new Visitors Center on the mainland. Once on the island, you will need to pay for a 7 day pass to get to the national park. We have good luck with seeing horses at Old Ferry Landing or North Ocean Beach. Both are very scenic areas with lots of other wildlife. If you wanted to avoid Ocean City, you could stay in Berlin, MD or Snow Hill, both of which have several small inns and b&bs.

The drive from the MD district to the VA district is about an hour. You are correct that you must go back to the mainland to get from one to the other and cannot drive across on the island. Lots to see in VA, with the National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center and the other Assateague Center (much smaller). I haven't seen horses in VA, but I haven't been there very often.

If you are interested in wildlife, I recommend visiting both parts of Assateague, perhaps with a visit to the MD side, a drive to stay in Chincoteague (lots of nice lodging), and an early morning visit to the Chincoteague NWR and the VA district in Assateague.

Good luck with your planning!

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Berlin, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

Ponies on the MD end are very easy to see. The road onto the island is a great viewing tool right from your vehicle. The MD end is larger and also offers close proximity to Ocean City and berlin if you needed an overnight. Highly recommend the MD end of Assateague where ponies are truly wild. There's also no fee for driving out onto the island until you get to the toll booth which is about 3 miles in. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Ocean City
Level Contributor
339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

I think if you have one of those senior age passes to national parks, can get into the national park side of Assateague for free (can use in all national parks, I think).

Berlin, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

Correct!

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

just saw the ponies a few days ago..we stayed in Berlin (Atlantic Hotel) and saw them all 4 times we drove out to the island (10 minutes away) it is a cool experience. Ocean City is also like 10 minutes away if you want to walk on the board walk and look at the youngsters being cool.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
681 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

On what road from Berlin did you drive in to see them & where did you park?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

From Rt. 113 in Berlin you turn onto Assateague Rd, go to the end (about 5 miles) and make a right onto Rt. 611. You'll go about 2/3 miles and come to a fork, go to your left and you'll see the Verazzano Bridge over to Assateague. There's a Visitor/Ranger Station on the right before you go over the bridge. The Maryland entrance to Assateague is straight ahead, the Federal entrance is the 1st right over the bridge, both have paid parking. Sometimes the ponies are standing along the road when you come off the bridge.

They are wild, please don't try to feed or touch.

I think the link provided in post #1 has directions too.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Bridgeport, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wild ponies where? Assateague/Chincoteague (island so long)

We still had to pay for a pass and did have the National one that you mentioned. They would not use it. Go figure..lol

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City