We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No recycling in Ocean City

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
No recycling in Ocean City

I'm not an environmental activist, just an average guy with an average family. Having picked up some trash on the beach this morning I was shocked when I learned from our hotel that Ocean City stopped its recycling program two years ago. There are many wonderful communities along the coast. I encourage you to pick one with better sense than Ocean City. Inexcusable.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

@Dude2360 - well said.

Perhaps JOEHALL could explain how his family's Hall restaurants are recycling?

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

Never thought of him being THE Joe Hall...............glad my wife and I voted against him.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

@OceanCityBeachBob - and THE Joe Hall also voted to end the OC recycling program. The record stated that the council vote was *unanimous*.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

Waste incineration is a really poor me method of solid waste disposal (so says me and an overwhelming number of experts). It's also expensive. Not having a thorough recycle/reuse program in Ocean City is not a matter of cost, it's a matter of municipal laziness. OC is Maryland's second largest city between Memorial Day and Labor Day. As a kid, I remember the recycling bins on the beach being filled with plastic/aluminum/glass every week. Now all that refuse falls off the back of the trucks, or is left on the beach, or is carted away to PA to further pollute our air. Burning plastic is burning plastic - that noxious particulate has to go somewhere. It is indeed inexcusable to not have a comprehensive recycling program in OC. We could be the examples of proper solid waste and recycling, if we only had the will as a community, to demand that the Town Council members and the Worcester County Commissioners actually did their job.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

Ahhhhh........another out of towners opinion of recycling in OC.

Make you a deal..........I'll worry about OC recycling and you worry about CRIME in Baltimore..OK

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

@foodie12342014 - there are probably very few people that *like* the idea of incinerating what could be recycled. The OC government faced a dilemma due to the fact that it costs MORE to have a recycling program than to send the material for incineration. Part of the reason is that OC has a population of approximately 7,000 outside of the summer months.

If you can figure a way for the OC government to have a recycling program that costs the same or less than how it's currently handling the refuse, please put it forward.

As the saying goes: Don't complain unless you got a better idea on how to fix it.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

Per chance an additional 10% tax on hotel rooms, meals, and maybe a beach charge could solve foodies issues.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

Actually GL726, I'm working on that right now -- a strategy to bring back a recycling program using cooperation between public and private partners (Town Council, WoCo Commrs, State, and Lower Shore businesses)! And to OceanCityBeachBob, I live on 120th Street, bayside, having moved here from Baltimore several years ago. I haven't updated my TripAdvisor profile in over a decade, as I think I've only ever posted 2-3 things on here, ever.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

Well the good news is that TA permits recycling since this post is over a year old and nothing new has been added- just same stuff recycled!! :)

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: No recycling in Ocean City

This argument is like trying to cut down a petrified tree. A waste of energy.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City