We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
garden state...
Level Contributor
171 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

Wanting to bring down our bikes to OC. We have a little one that has a seat on our bike so we're looking for safe & easy rides. I've read that going on the boardwalk early before 9 is good, so we'll do that. I remember when we visited Bethany beach we saw bikers on the road - is that safe, or maybe I should try posting on Bethany forum? Any other suggestions?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

We always wake up early to ride our bikes on the boardwalk with our little ones. After 9:00am it does get crowded, but if you are on before then it is a nice ride. I would not ride my bike on the road in OC especially with kids. I am not sure about Bethany though.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

Try Northside Park

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

I have to agree here. You are allowed to ride bikes on the boardwalk until 11 a.m. daily and that's the safest place to do it. There are sidewalks on every street in OC, but you cannot ride on them. And there is also a so called bus/bike lane on Coastal Highway, but with the busses and people making u turns into that lane, plus people turning right onto the street from side streets it really wouldn't be safe to ride a bicycle there. Every year there are accidents involving people on bikes and scooters.

I would stick with the boardwalk.

Ocean City
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

Agree with all replies - don't bike on the roads. Northside Park is in OC on the bayside around 127th street. Lovely flat asphalt walking/bike trails, big playground, bayviews. Pack a lunch and drive over there, lovely day.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

I am also going to suggest northside park! Lots of fun things to do and beautiful sunsets!

garden state...
Level Contributor
171 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

This is good, I didnt know about northside park - looks lovely! And early mornings on the boardwalk. Excellent suggestions, no street riding for us! Thnx everyone!

Macungie...
Level Contributor
84 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

Northside is the way to go the roads around bethany are flat but as soon as you get out of town the cars are moving by pretty quickly and it isn't that safe. Assateague also has a separate bike lane if you want to do something different you can either ride over to the island or park on the island and ride.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

One more recommendation for Northside Park. And on Sunday's they have free concerts and you can make an ice cream sundae to eat while listening to the music for a small fee. The promotion is called Sundaes in the Park.

If you bike at Assateague, be sure to load up on bug repellant because those blood suckers there BITE!!

garden state...
Level Contributor
171 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

thnx momoo, almost forgot about bugspray!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe, flat area to bike with little one?

I bike a lot on the road and agree that not great idea in OC. There is a dedicated lane on 54 leading ofFenwick and also north of OC heading to Bethany but only suggesting if you otherwise road bike like this. The area is bike friendly but whether you take advantage depends on your comfort level.