We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Trans to OC from NYC

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Public Trans to OC from NYC

About 15 yrs ago I caught a Greyhound bus to OC. I believe it made 2 stops. I tried booking a bus trip and NOW it gets there 32hrs later!! Ridiculous. Are there any shortcuts...SEPTA, other bus companies etc.?

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

I don't know if it's the dates you want to travel or something else, but I just did a search on a random date in late June and got an itinerary that only took seven hours, leaving NYC at 8:30 a.m. and arrving in O.C. at 3:30 p.m.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

Another option is Amtrak, they have connecting shuttle bus service provided by Bay Runner Shuttle from BWI Rail Station to Ocean City, MD. Search on their website, www.amtrak.com , for service from NYP to OCM. Trip time looks to be about 7 1/2 hours or so, lowest price looks to be $153.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

Check again...it's 1 day & 8hrs. I checked for tomorrow it shows leaving Thurs 7:1am arriving the NEXT day at 3:30pm. baffling.

I did check Amtrak AND called Dart buses. Amtrak has fares as if I was going out west. Dart said I would have to transfer to four buses. So may have to catch NJ transit or SEPTA. Mind you driving is just 5 hrs.but I want to relax. Thanks for the suggestions

Edited: 12 June 2013, 13:58
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

Take Amtrak to Wilmington, DE. Then take DART to Rehoboth Beach. There they have connectors to OC. See attached schedules. I believe you can do this any Friday, Saturday or Sunday in the summer.

dartfirststate.com/information/…

Edited: 12 June 2013, 14:12
Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

Quick question, are you talking about Ocean City, Maryland or Ocean City, New Jersey? This is the Ocean City Maryland forum. Asking because you keep mentioning NJ Transit and/or SEPTA, but they will not get you anywhere close to Ocean City, Maryland

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

Good point about Maryland vs. New Jersey, however, if it is Maryland, the random date I selected is Wedensday, June 26, and it IS showing a seven-hour trip, not 32.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

The reality of public transportation (and commercial common carriers like Amtrak and Greyhound) is that there needs to be enough demand for regularly-scheduled service in order for it to be cost-effective. That demand simply doesn't exist for direct service from NYC to OCMD as it does to Boston, Philly, Baltimore or DC--but it does exist to allow you to do it in separate legs: As #4 suggests, NYC to Wilmington (easy anytime via bus or train), Wilmington-Rehoboth (fairly easy on the weekends via bus), and Rehoboth to OC (not so easy on the #208 bus, which only runs every 2-3 hours).

If you want fast, hassle-free service from NYC to OC--your options really are limited to either driving yourself, paying the expense of hiring a private driver, or finding a rideshare via Craigslist or similar. There are no public/common carrier transportation "shortcuts" once you get off the well-traveled I-95 corridor.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

OC bus to de line. Pick up DART bus to lewes to ferry to cape may. Bicycle to AC. Train to NY. Haven't been able to put together an itinerary.

9. Re: Public Trans to OC from NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:17