We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 14-18 trip report

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
June 14-18 trip report

Just got back and we got lucky on the weather. It was really nice the days we were down there, sun and some clouds, low 80's and no rain. It stormed the day before we got there and again really bad storms on 50 from Salisbury to Easton.

New...

Davy Jones Locker is no longer there, I guess the boardwalk crowd didn't appreciate the craft brew with a view venue. It has been replaced by a Budweiser/Miller/Coors bar.

Shorebilly (boardwalk and 10th) was fun, we got a photo inside the 1/2 VW minivan. Beers are brewed on site. I had a flight. Better than Gordon Biersch but not special, none of them. They say they are trying to appeal to a broad boardwalk audience.

Captains Table 2 in the commercial fishing harbor has excellent all lump crabcake sandwiches with no filler. We had lunch on the waterfront deck twice, and will return in July.

Quicky's, around Somerset or Dorchester - good gyros, good pizza, good prices. Lunch, not dinner would be my recommendation.

The outside bar at Angler is completely redone and the floorplan changed after Sandy destroyed the old bar. We did the free after-dinner tour and saw at least forty dolphins playing just where ocean meets inlet.

Light Show (I think last year was the first year) - if you spoil your kids on the souther end of the boardwalk, this gives you an excuse to drag them from games and rides for a while to catch a fairly entertaining laser, music and light show on the beach at Division, I think it's every Sunday night.

Not new...

As always, we loved our dinners at Shark On The Harbor and Ristorante Antipasti. I have posted reviews on those two previously.

We had heard about the "Junebugs" as the locals seem to call the seniors. They were not too bad on our trip, but I did notice more police presence on the boardwalk than usual, and the cops are in pairs. Cops seem taller this year.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
380 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 14-18 trip report

Thanks for the trip report, may have to try a few of the places you listed.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
629 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 14-18 trip report

Shorebilly looks intriguing! Looking forward to trying it in August. Sounds like a good stop after a few at the 9th St Tap House.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 14-18 trip report

I forgot to mention the boardwalk "street entertainers" - a few of them are much better than the clowns from previous years. Two different guys are unicycle-riding juggers and both are both talented and funny. That was probably my most pleasant surprise this year. They usually hang out at Division on the boardwalk, and further south around Trimpers indoor rides on the boardwalk.

And there are fireworks over the ocean again this year, every Monday night at Division Street as well as the light show on Sunday nights.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: June 14-18 trip report

"Cops seem taller this year".....now THAT is one detailed TR!!!!! lol. You are near the end of the "junebug" season but some people think the firemens convention is even worse!!

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
23 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 14-18 trip report

I actually thought the cops seemed YOUNGER this year (and I am 34 so they must have been barely legal to drink, lol).

Pittsburgh
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: June 14-18 trip report

Have not heard of Captain's Table 2. Is it a spinoff of Captain's Table in the Marriott on boardwak or unrelated?

Is it more of a restaurant, more of a bar, very casual, moderately casual, extensive menu?

I am a fan of the Captains Table in the Marriott -so curious about Captain's Table 2. THX

Albany NY
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 14-18 trip report

I believe the original poster meant the Captains Galley 2, which is located in West OC and known for their crab cakes.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 14-18 trip report

Wait, there's a Captain's Table 2? I love the Captain's Table. I made the mistake last time I went in 2011 of going during lunch and not getting the dinner menu.

Is it the same menu as the original?

Virginia
Level Contributor
189 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 14-18 trip report

Yeah, that sounds like Captain's Galley 2.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 14-18 trip report

Maaaaakes sense now.