We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Ocean City, MD from Baltimore MD

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Ocean City, MD from Baltimore MD

My family is coming to see me for the weekend and I was thinking about ending the weekend with a day at the beach in Ocean City, MD because we already have plans for Saturday. I wanted to know if anyone has done a day trip there? In case we decide to stay overnight Sunday, are there a lot of hotels between Baltimore and Ocean City, MD that are reasonable? Thank you in advance for all of your input / advise.

Level Contributor
339 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Ocean City, MD from Baltimore MD

I have done plenty of Day trips to OC from Baltimore. It is a 3 hour drive but leave early around 7 in the morning so you can have a full day worth of stuff to do at the beach. Sunday if you would like to stay at the beach overnight try executive motel, tides motel, empress motel or even beachmark. those are affordable I think or even half way in Salisbury hotels or right outside ocean city for hotels and motels.

akron, oh
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Ocean City, MD from Baltimore MD

hotels in salisbury book early so i would not plan that without reservations. i know because we stop there on way from ohio to OC every year. also need to be sure the OC hotels have no minimum night stay. the trip from baltimore is not a bad trip if you time the bay bridge right. used to do it lots when i lived in Towson.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Ocean City, MD from Baltimore MD

Would you be getting a room on Saturday night in order to return to the beach on Sunday, or just to break up the drive home? Demand for mid-tier hotel rooms throughout the Eastern Shore--even those along ugly commercial highway strips in Salisbury, Cambridge and Easton--has increased along with prices. This is especially the case over summer weekends, as travelers seeking to spend their days in places like Ocean City, Chestertown, Kent Island and St. Michaels are willing to "commute" 1/2 hour or so to the water to avoid the high prices charged in the hotels and B&Bs in those areas. Even Salisbury, Cambridge & Easton have gotten somewhat trendy in their own right, putting additional upward pressure on demand and prices for mid-tier hotels.

Assuming you aren't planning on returning to the beach on Sunday and you find the prices along Rt. 50 to be too high for your liking, your best bet for an inexpensive room might be had by routing yourself home through Delaware--routes 13, 113, 404. Timewise it won't be much different than taking Rt. 50 entirely through Maryland. Towns like Millsboro, Georgetown, Laurel and Seaford, DE and Denton, MD are inland and far enough away from the water that you're not paying a premium price just to rest your head for the night in something like a Holiday Inn Express.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 18:09
4. Re: Day trip to Ocean City, MD from Baltimore MD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:17