We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

York, Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

I will be at Bethany Beach next Monday through either next Friday or Saturday as part of a vacation. We always go via DE 1, but a few years ago I was introduced to the Bay Bridge when heading back. I want to try that route on the way home to the beach, but I want to know what times are the best on Friday and Saturday to take that route without all of the traffic (I would be heading WB towards York, PA). Any thoughts/experience?

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

My best suggestion is to leave around 7 or no later than 8 a.m. on Saturday. We've found that on Friday evenings and nights the traffic around Annapolis and Frederick is just horrendous and bumper to bumper. But we've never had much problem as long as we get to the bay bridge by 10 a.m. on Saturday. So the earlier the better.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

If you're going WB on Friday or Saturday, hit the Bay Bridge after 7pm.

Essex, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

To summarize, it's a crap shoot when it comes to traffic conditions, but the majority of the times, our experience with travel time going to OC using the Bay Bridge has been good.

The last two years we have been going to OC every weekend during the summer, leaving Friday night around 6PM. There have been times when there was BAD traffic due to an accident and/or weather, adding 1 to 2 hours extra of travel time, but the vast majority of the time the traffic is manageable.

It normally takes us 3 hours 15 minutes with a 10 minute pit stop, to get from Essex MD to Ocean City MD during the summer. Last weekend it took us 3 hrs 45 minutes due to Bay Bridge traffic and driving thru a thunderstorm from Easton to OC.

Coming home on Sunday evenings, leaving around 8PM, we can get home in 3 hours with a pit stop.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

Your question states you heading westbound back home to York, Pa. So you will be heading west on Rt 50 over the Bay Bridge. Traffic(heavy) on Rt 50 on a Friday or Saturday is always on the east bound lanes (of course unless there is a accident).

In saying that you should be fine on your trip home no matter what time you leave.

But you should plan accordingly the time you will hit the baltimore beltway to avoid delays there.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 15:18
York, Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

Well I am planning to leave the beach around 5 or 6 PM one of those nights. With a 2 hour drive to the bay bridge, I would say I'd be there at 7 or 8 PM. That would put me on 695 by 8 or 9 PM; thus it shoudn't be a terrible problem when it comes to driving :) Thanks for all of your help!!!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

Traveling home to York from OC Sunday night we hit construction on 695, which was causing pretty big delays. Lane restrictions from 4 lanes down to 2, I believe. It set us back about 30 minutes...I have no idea what nights/times they are doing the construction, but it was 730pm when we got stuck in it. Bridge was ok though, LOL.

Essex, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

Sorry for my misinterpretation of "on the way home to the beach", and not reading "heading west bound toward York PA".

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
23 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

We livevin Gettysburg and use rte 50 and the bay bridge when we go to OC every two weeks.....the earlier you can get to it the better. I aggree with the other posters...before 10 am and after 7 coming home on a weekend sounds safe.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

Andrew, it seems that more than one respondent misunderstood your question, somehow thinking you were traveling eastbound. Trust me, on Saturday you do not want to be hitting the bay bridge going westbound in late morning or early afternoon. I did it once and will never make that mistake again. I think the heavy traffic going westbound on Saturday early is the weekly renters, combined with the lane closures WB. Maybe someone else can chime in with why traffic is bad WB at a time you would think everyone would be headed to the beach instead of home.

10. Re: Best time to use the Bay Bridge on a Friday or Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:17