We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
323 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

This past weekend driving on the beach was allowed for a fishing tournament. Some of those drivers were incredibly rude! We were on the beach between 31st and 32nd streets, We saw one man pull up and park his truck in between two umbrellas so that his truck was literally two feet away from chairs (with people sitting in them). My husband went over and questioned him and he blew him off and then claimed that the spot was assigned by the tournament, however we know that the tournament assigned by whole blocks and did not authorize any one to park practically on top of other people! We also witnessed much reckless driving as trucks sped along trying not to get stuck in the sand. I was petrified that a child would run out in the path of one of these speeding trucks.

While they were fishing, it was difficult to walk up and down the beach because of fishing lines every few feet and I was afraid to go in the water because of all the bloody fish parts with which they were "chumming" the water. We saw a few sharks being caught this way! After the trucks and fishermen had cleared out, some of them left pretty disgusting garbage on the beach including piles of bloody fish guts, hooks etc.

I read that Ocean City had passed an ordinance allowing driving on the beach for fisherman from November through March but this received such loud opposition that it was immediately repealed.

As a long time Ocean City visitor and possible future resident (upon retirement) I would like any suggestions for whom to write to to ensure that driving on the beach is never allowed again! I also think they should limit fishing to specific beaches at specific times.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

You can contact City Council. www.oceancitymd.gov . Mayor Rick Meehan.

The fishing tournament happens every year and is only supposed to be on certain blocks. They aren't supposed to drive up and down the beach. They have to remain within so many feet of the few entrances to the beach. Every time I've been there during this event there have been plenty of police patrolling making sure that everyone was obeying the rules.

If this is what you witnessed, I hope you took plenty of pictures and documented everything including license plate numbers and times. That will definitely help in pleading your case.

Like you I am glad that driving onto the beach was tabled.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

I would suggest that folks should check the Ocean City Schedule of events and stay away from the areas that could possibly disgust them.

It's a big beach with room for everyone.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

On a typical early October weekend not too many people would be laying out on the beach, would they? So the fishing tournament is planned for what is really a bit "off season", and then Mother Nature decides to send a glorious bout of unexpected hot weather our way for those same dates.

Can't blame people for wanting to lay out, but they probably need to realize it's not July, either.

new jersey
Level Contributor
323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

Not only did I not see ANY police patrolling during the entire two days, but) the tournament official who was measuring the fish caught was himself riding up and down the beach continuously, with a school age child standing in the bed of the pickup truck, on a school day. Oh yes, that same child was also wearing a beer hat. Great example for kids!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

Did you enjoy yourself at all, or was the whole weekend spent taking notes on what everyone else was doing?

new jersey
Level Contributor
323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

Rather than stoop to your level to insult you (for which you have no good reason) I will just answer your question at face value - YES we had a great time. The weather was beautiful, the other people around us laying on the beach were friendly, the crabs at Higgins were great.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

I believe momoo answered your question. By all means, if you feel strongly about this, you should exercise your right to contact the appropriate officials. I am not sure why you are taking heat simply because you expect people to act civil. Based on what you witnessed, every one of your complaints is justified.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

Absolutely right Dude. And how can anything be fixed if nobody knows about it? Please let the proper people know your concerns so it can hopefully be corrected by next year.

new jersey
Level Contributor
323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

Thanks momoo and Dude2360. I will be sending letters per your suggestions.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: whom to address to ensure beach driving is never allowed

Beware.....

The Assateague Island Surf Tourney has been cancel due to the Government being closed.

It has been moved to Ocean City Oct 18, 19 2013.

C'mon down and find something else to complain about.