We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
380 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

OK, I understand when Fishers and Thrashers can get rated #1 restaurant or in top 10 because people view them as real good in their area of expertise. But the Lankford #1, above the Hilton. Yes I realize it was on Hotel Impossible, but unless they put lots of money into it, they only remodeled one room. There must be ways of dealing with this, short of "reporting" every person that recently gave it a 5 star rating. The Lankford doesn't belong even in the top 20, let alone at #1.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 21:28
Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

There are many much better places to stay in Ocean City

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

I guess it goes to show what a little bit of publicity will get you. And, it seems that over half of their reviews have come since the filming of Hotel Impossible. However, with that said, if you look at the reviews prior to the filming of the show, you'll see for the most part, they were good reviews...so it's not like the place got horrible reviews and then all of a sudden got great reviews since the filming of the show.

We all have to realize that reviewing is very subjective and what may be great for one may not be for another. And, just because the Lankford is old and perhaps outdated and may not appeal to some who would rather stay at a newer, more modern hotel like the Hilton, there some who are drawn to the older more nostalgic places in OC. This past summer, I stayed at the Oceanic and while it is older and could use some updating in the rooms, I had one of the best times ever staying there and would stay there again over the Hilton or one of the newer more modern establishments. So, I think it all comes down to the eye of the beholder and personal tastes when it comes to reviewing.

With that said and on a lighter note, I wonder if Restaurant Impossible would come and redo Paul Revere that it would go from 307th place to 1st????? :)

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

ROFL! Wouldn't that be something!

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
380 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

BBear64, I know all about things being subjective. This is coming from someone who has stayed at the Atlantic two years in a row. Both the Atlantic and the Lankford are old. They both have a reputation for being very clean in the housekeeping department. The primary difference that I have heard about and saw on Hotel Impossible are the fact that the Atlantic has been remodeling and they have been accepting credit cards for a long time. Of course the Lankford has some larger rooms with kitchens which the Atlantic doesn't but you get the idea. I personally would never rate the Atlantic 5 stars even though I had a great time.

Having the Lankford as #1 does both the people that use this site to find hotels and the Lankford itself a disservice. Can you imagine a person thinking this hotel will be "better" then the Hilton because it is rated higher then the Hilton reaction when they see the Lankford? I am sure people will be asking for their money back.

Now a Restaurant Impossible remodel of Paul Revere, that would be real funny. I can't see what keeps that place in business other then its location and people that have never been to Ocean City before.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

This topic/thread caught my attention not because of the Lankford Hotel but the issue of 'gaming the review/rating system', which is apparently what has happened here. If the reviews were truly by people who have stayed there, but are loyal/fans of the Lankford, they've stayed within the realm of being legitimate but have pushed it to the edge.

As others have posted on this thread, people come to TripAdvisor looking for 'advice' on whether a place is good, issues, etc. Gaming the system is not good for anyone.

YELP, Google Local and other similar sites that reviews restaurants, local businesses, etc., had the NY Attorney General conduct a sting that wound up with fines against 'fake' reviewers upwards of $350,000 for gaming the system.

From a personal perspective, I would be extremely upset if based on TripAdvisor reviews/rankings, I stayed at a "5-star, #1 ranked hotel" and it was not in the Ritz Carlton type class experience.

But, as several of the regular OC contributors here have said, "look at how many reviews the poster has made", and I would also add to look at if they are an experienced traveler.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

Marauder40,

Precisely, my point when I say it comes down to personal taste or preference. And, I don't believe it's a disservice, because I for one am someone who would choose a property such as Lankford over a Hilton type of hotel.

I don't know how long you've been following the OC reviews here, but for years the Sea Hawk was listed as the #1 hotel, another older establishment with less bells & whistles, than the Hilton, but a nice place nonetheless, proving you don't have to be new, expensive and full of amenities to be a highly rated hotel in Ocean City.

And, I agree with you with regard to the Paul Revere....how they stay in business is beyond me. :)

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
380 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

The difference between the Lankford and the Sea Hawk is the percentage of single post/review people that posted. Most of the reviews for Sea Hawk had at least 3 reviews. Should the Sea Hawk be a 5? no. Should it be above the Lankford, from what I see in the trustworthy reviews? yes.

I sort of see it as what they have started doing if you post a 5 star review in restaurants, it asks you "Is this one of the best restaurants you have ever eaten?" No qualifiers like is it the best restaurant in Ocean City or stuff like that. IMHO nobody should be giving a hotel a 5 star rating unless it is one of the best hotels they have ever stayed in. There must be better ways for dealing with stuff like this, short of disqualifying all the single review 5 star ratings. Maybe some method of weighting the single review people both in the 1 star range and the 5 star range.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

Marauder40,

I don't pay attention to how many reviews one has...the content of the review is what is important to me and how it compares to other reviews of the same establishment.

It's no secret since the filming of Hotel Impossible that the Lankford put the word out on their Facebook page to post a review on TripAdvisor and people have...just a little over half of their total reviews have come since July, 2013.

However, if you compare the content of the reviews pre July & post July, you'll see for the most part the reviews contain the same sentiment. So, it's not like they're saying anything that hasn't already been stated.

The only thing that has changed is the quantity of reviews that have been submitted in a fairly short amount of time and that's when the publicity comes into play...is it right or wrong...that again comes down to personal opinion. Hilton stayed at the top not only because of good reviews, but also because of the amount of reviews as well..and it's hard for the smaller establishments to compete with the size and volume of the larger places, but that doesn't mean the smaller places are any less desirable.

As for ratings, I base what I rate solely on my own overall personal experience of the place I'm staying at that particular time and I don't compare it to other places. And, it's within the content of the review is where I explain my rating.

Ratings are a whole other issue that you have to take with a grain of salt...especially, those who rate low or high just based on one thing, i.e., I rated it 1 star because the front desk was crabby and unfriendly or I gave it a 5 because the pool was huge. I tend to give more merit to those reviews that give an overall experience instead of just eluding to one point, but that's just me, LOL!! :)

19. Re: Lankford #1 hotel in Ocean City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:21