We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo in June

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parma, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Condo in June

Happy New Year from Parma - in the deep freeze, but slowly warming up! Summer breezes seem so far away when we have just had wind chills nearing 30 below, but checking out condos for summer is a great way to mentally escape. I was looking at a condo on VRBO that we might be interested in, but was confused by the rates. Max rate was initially listed as $1400, which is within our budget. However, when I looked further down at the weekly breakdown, I was surprised to find that the whole month of June (we are looking at end of June) is actually $1850 - that is $450 more than any other month during the summer. The weekly price drops to the $1400 in July. I have not noticed this pattern anywhere else - June is usually less expensive, with prices going up in July. I am particularly interested in this condo as we have friends staying in a condo on the same street. We would like to stay near by and this is one of the few buildings I could find. I thought maybe the reason for the higher rate might be to discourage seniors who I have read "come out to play" in June? In the past we have used CB and Long and Foster so I have no experience with VRBO. This may sound like a stupid question, but here goes: When using VRBO, since you are dealing with the owner, is it wrong to try to clarify why there is such a discrepancy with the rates? As I mentioned the max was listed as $1400, but for some reason, the month of June is actually much higher. We would strongly consider renting at the $1400, but I don't know if it is out of line to question the owner about why rates are listed the way they are. I hope my long post makes sense ~ any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

JB

Ocean City
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo in June

I list my property on VRBO. I never mind people sending me inquiries; there is a comment section where you can write a note and ask questions. I suspect the owners have boosted the June price to cover damages from teen groups. Some owners also greatly increase the security deposits for those groups. Go ahead and send an inquiry explaining you are a family group (if you are) and ask if the owner might consider lower rates. Can't do any harm, worst case is they don't reply or decline. It may be they want the extra income from the higher rates, owners have different approaches. Should be aware that often properties rented to teen groups are not in the best shape, you might want to look at a few more listings.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo in June

I agree. Yet at the same time, it concerns me that if that's the reason......has the place been trashed before? I definitely would contact the owners and let them know your concerns. June is a very active month in OC with senior weeks, the fireman's convention, the OC Air Show, and even the Dew Tour (dates haven't been announced yet) . You have nothing to lose by asking and it may even get you a discount in addition to easing your mind.

akron, oh
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo in June

I have always found VRBO people to be very helpful! it is their livelihood. I know raising rates in June is generally associated with senior weeks too. Maybe giving us on the forum an idea of the street or area you are interested in would be helpful.

I am also thawing out in beautiful OHIO.

good luck with your search.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo in June

use vrbo and homeaway all the time. Every question ever asked gets a response (not always what I want to hear but that's ok).

Parma, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo in June

Thanks for the responses. I will send an inquiry the owner's way and await her response. BTW - looking to stay in the area of 44th.

6. Re: Condo in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:18