We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice needed!

Nesconset, New York
8 posts
Save Topic
Hotel advice needed!

Hello all!

My girlfriends and I are going to OC mid July and I've been searching hotels and apartments and I cannot decide which is best. So for everyone whose been there and has stayed somewhere Great, I'd love to hear from you.

Here is what we ultimately want:

-on the boardwalk

-access to beach from hotel or across boardwalk

-cleanliness! Omg big factor. I've seen so many reviews with pictures of mold.

-equipped with fridge and microwave as I have food allergies so I travel with my own food,

-decent not to expensive price (tide wave hotel was 1224 for 4 nights) that's the maximum price

-I saw a few places that have outside bars/pools. I love this idea and their own bands! Yes

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice needed!

Well you can go 2 ways here since your staying 4 nights. (mini week condo or a hotel room)

Since it's just 2 adults then I'm guessing your want it simple so a hotel is your best bet,

Higher priced but very nice and have all you describe is the

Holiday Inn on 17th http://www.ocsuites.com/

Park Place on 3rd st http://ocparkplacehotel.com/

Tidelands on 5th http://tidelandscaribbean.com/

A little cheaper, not as luxury as the others but has a great pool bar is the

Plim Plaza http://www.plimplazaoc.com/

A block off the boardwalk at 3rd st but has a awesome rooftop pool is

Hotel Monte Carlo http://www.montecarlo-2000.com/

If you are interested in a condo let me know. Condos are a little cheaper but you may have to pack a little more.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 19:57
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice needed!

Tfunky gave you some excellent choices. But why do you want to limit yourself to the boardwalk? The boardwalk is 2.5 miles long and all of the rides and games, etc. are located below 1st St. to the inlet, or basically only the first quarter mile of boardwalk. The rest of the boardwalk is hotels, condos and small shops and bars. The further up the boardwalk you go, the farther you will have to walk to the "heart" of the boardwalk. There is a tram you can ride on the boardwalk that runs from 27th St. to the inlet, and there is a charge for each ride, each way or you can buy a multi ride pass.

Another option is to get a hotel room anywhere in OC and ride the bus to the boardwalk. It only costs $1 per ride or $3 for a ride all day pass, and the bus runs about every 15 minutes/ 24-7.

An excellent place to stay is the Spinnaker on 18th St. It's not directly on the boardwalk, but only steps back. I've stayed there and been extremely satisfied. They have an elevated outdoor pool, and a wonderful café called Malia's for breakfast and lunch. I also recommend the Grand on 21st. At the very end of, but not on the boardwalk check the Dunes Motel. It's the first motel next to the boardwalk and adjacent to the tram station. Two blocks up is its sister Hotel........Dunes Manor. Every room is oceanfront and another excellent place to stay. Walking distance to the boardwalk, Embers, Jolly Roger Park, Coins Restaurant and Bar, and The Fractured Prune for those fabulous donuts!!

Condos are fine for a week or longer, but not worth dragging bedding and towels and toilet paper and everything else for just 4 nights.

Also, check out the Oceanic. It's the first hotel in OC, located on the inlet, directly across from the boardwalk, clean, and the owners are very friendly and even have cookouts for their guests.

Nesconset, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advice needed!

Hi we will have 4 girls total for our trip. I didn't realize the boardwalk was limiting ourselves. I've only been to ocean city one time and i figured that was the best place to stay, but if not then that's ok too. We want to have easy access to all the fun during the day and nightlife. Taking the bus sounds easy and cheap. I will looke into all that you both have mentioned, thanks

Nesconset, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advice needed!

Spinnaker and plim plaza look nice and fun! I like the plim plaza with the live music and front porch style. Is this in a good location ?

Nesconset, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advice needed!

Reviews on the plim were mostly negative : (

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advice needed!

The Plim Plaza has a great pool bar and a huge pool but their rooms are as basic as they come. The Plim is a older hotel, they updated their rooms a few years back. The rooms are old school style rooms not the suites you may see today in a Hilton or Holiday Inn I mentioned.

I wouldn't recommend the Plim Plaza to a family or older adults who may spend more time in their room but I would recommend the Plim to young adults who most likely will be out running around more when in OC.

Positive:

The Plim's location is great for a boardwalk hotel, nice deck, has a great pool scene, price is usually pretty good for a boardwalk hotel.

Negative:

The Plim's rooms are basic, maybe small for some and no balcony.

You'll have to weigh the pros and cons and decide for your self.

Me, if I was 21-25 no kids then yes the Plim would be great.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advice needed!

I noticed cleanliness received an OMG from you. Stay away fro Plim Plaza in that case. Dated, small rooms for 4, and not the cleanest hotel (trying to be discreet). A couple years ago it had a legionnaires disease problem but apparently that has been cleared up. If you need to be on the boardwalk do yourself a favor and stay Holiday Inn on 17th. Personally I would stay at the Hilton on 33rd. Both of these hotels are not cheap but they have great amenities, are suites so they can handle 4 girls comfortably and you will be splitting the cost 4 ways.

Nesconset, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel advice needed!

Disappointing as the Plim seemed to have all the good stuff I'd like BUT I did just call and the lady was very nice and honest as far as the smoking and it's everywhere. She mentioned that even though we would be in a non smoking room we will most likely still smell it, so that's not for me! I'm looking into the others

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel advice needed!

Wow....kudos to the Plim for it's honesty. Nice to hear.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel advice needed!

The Tidelands Caribbean has a good rooftop bar and it's on the boardwalk. The hottest spot in OC for nightlife is Seacrets on 49th St. That's the place most people who like the party/bar scene go to. But there is no lack of bars anywhere in OC.

There are plenty of non smoking hotels in OC, and all of the restaurants are now non smoking.

And I agree with Dude, kudos to the Plim!!

One thing I forgot to mention. The Rodeway on 30th St was recently sold to Econolodge and has been completely remodeled for this year. OC's only other Econolodge is on the north end of OC and is rated as one of the top 10 in the country. Same owners, so I expect (plus from the pictures I've been seeing) that it is VERY nice. They are now taking reservations. Plus it's only 3 blocks to the boardwalk and that's a great location in OC.

Check out the Ocean City website to see a map of OC, events, things to do, etc, at www.ococean.com . And you can ask an Ocean City Insider questions there too for even more advice and opinions.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations