We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocean pines

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
ocean pines

How far is ocean pines community from ocean city md? How is the ocean pines community as a whole? Thank you for the info.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocean pines

Ocean Pines is about 10 miles from Ocean City. The community is very nice and has a property owners board that governs the area. There is a north and south section. Some of the homes are waterfront, others are deep into the woods. Most of the homes have screened in porches for a reason.......bugs. But that's expected and normal in a waterfront area. Lately, there's been a lot of controversy about the geese problem in OP. They're everywhere, and the droppings are getting extreme. But the area is very nice and very convenient to OC, golf courses, and shopping and the highways.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ocean pines

Not very far as the crow flies but if there is traffic on the bridge going over to OC, then a little longer? It is only 8 miles over the rt 90 bridge.

How is it as a whole? better than it is by halves? What are you trying to figure out? whether to rent there for a vacation? buy? This isn't a relocation forum so if that is the question, probably better places to be looking.

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ocean pines

I was inquiring about info for a vacation rental for a week in august. Thank you

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ocean pines

Well, people own there for the purpose of visiting OC and some people vacation there but it is not as good as actually staying in OC where just about anywhere you are, you can walk to the beach. My impression of the community is that it is for people who want to own near the beach but can't afford to actually be on the beach. I am sure there are many boaters who own there.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ocean pines

If you're looking at a rental, consider this. What are you going to do at night? Plus you have to drive to get to everything including meals. Traffic can be a pain in the rear, and parking to go to the beach can be a problem. You can park at the Convention Center, but then you have to carry your stuff across Coastal Highway. That can be an issue too if you have lots of stuff.

Bathroom?

For me, there are more cons than pros renting there.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
379 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ocean pines

My family has owned a home in Ocean Pines for 35 years. I disagree with Neslaw that it is for people who want to be near the beach but can't afford it. Not everyone wants to stay in a place that it is full of traffic, people, neon lights,etc when they are on vacation. Ocean Pines is peaceful and at night, so very dark, quiet and serene. I personally love that. My kids can freely ride their bikes around the community. I don't worry about traffic if they want to ride their bikes to Rita's for ice cream or to the basketball courts and playground. I can go for a long run and depending on my route, barely see any cars. We can go out to eat and not worry about traffic. If it's a rainy day, we can go to the indoor pool if we want. It is very family oriented. We have plenty of space - a yard for the kids, a driveway with plenty of parking, a deck, a screened porch, nature trails just outside our door.

The downside is driving to the beach...it's only 10 minutes, but not convenient if you want the ability to go back and forth to your place. We pack a cooler and spend the day. We don't usually hit traffic on Rt. 90 but we usually head to the beach by 11am. The few times we've hit traffic, it added maybe 5 minutes to our travel time. The upside, there is a reserved parking lot right on the beach block, a nice pool, bathroom, locker room with showers, bar and grill, volleyball, and more.

So, it depends on what is most important to you. We prefer the quiet, serene, atmosphere of Ocean Pines. We don't spend much time in Ocean City at night...one night at the boardwalk to appease the kids, and maybe one night for dinner. Sometimes we do mini-golf, but we can do that in West Ocean City (where we also do the go-karts). Most restaurants we prefer are not on the strip, they are in West OC, up in Fenwick, etc. so for us, we aren't missing much by staying in Ocean Pines. But if you prefer to be walking distance to the beach, or in the midst of the hustle/bustle of the strip, then Ocean City is for you.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ocean pines

Yes ocean pines can be a great place to vacation. It has it's perks as it's faults as well. Also you'll need to consider how many is in your party as there are limited of pool passes they hand out for each rental. Please be therial with search at ocean pines.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ocean pines

Fourkids, I stand corrected and apologize.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
402 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ocean pines

Depending on where the house is located - it can take 10-15 minutes just to get out of the community and get onto RT90. then another 5-10 minutes into OC with light traffic. 10-20 Minutes in heavy traffic

I have stayed in OP before - some of the houses are nice. It is great for golfing, fishing & Boating - but if you plan on hitting the beach everyday - I would recommend staying in OC.

The OP beach club is a nice perk - but that gets very crowded in the peak season

Edited: 17 March 2014, 14:07
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ocean pines

If you plan on using the Beach Club make sure the place you are renting from is a member. I do not believe it is available to all OP homeowners anymore. I believe there is a membership fee.

Also OP is great if you are a boater....and the houses in there can be anything from a million dollar beautiful home and junk.......so do your research. Know which section you are in.