We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
Save Topic
OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

There was another thread about this earlier but it looks like Town Council has approved this. It really has no teeth but if it reminds a few kids to watch their mouths it is worth it. Maybe some of the kids will think it is actually a law when they read it.

I noticed at the end of the article it mentions that VA Beach has passed a law against foul language. I hope it stands up.....but something tells me the first time someone gets fined the ACLU gets involved.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

I think the signs are just an image thing. And good for OC for trying to clean-up the boardwalk experience.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

Wonder if the 'No Foul Language' signs will have any effect on the boardwalk T-Shops using 'foul language' on their products? Doubtful.........

Hoping it will at least curtail some of it, the past few years have really been bad - even while sitting on the beach.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 13:38
Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

I understand the "teeth" of the law kicks in when a policeman ask someone to tone it down . If the person ( a drunk or kid, generally) gives the cop some crap or continues it then becomes disorderly conduct.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

Well, that goes without saying. But the signs are requests......suggestions. Not enforceable by law unless they get rowdy.

I have a feeling though that while the parents and grandparents appreciate it, the teens will take it as an excuse to rebel and deliberately stand under the signs and shout every bad word in the book.

And I agree about the shirts. Right now, my grandkids can't read yet, but I'm dreading the day they can and wonder what those shirts mean. Definitely puts a stain on OC's family friendly image.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

momoo,

Then the teens will be arrested for disorderly conduct.

I don't know if your aware of it but when an Ocean City judge gives community service to a teen it's generally in the off season on weekends............many a parent has had to book a hotel, give up a weekend ,just to bring their little "dear" to OC for community service.

Seems to educate the kid and the parent.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

Sounds good to me. A couple of years ago, there was a 17 year old couple who got arrested for having sex on the beach in public. Imagine being the parent who got THAT call! LOL

My kids would be grounded for LIFE!! FOREVER!! I was a very strict parent.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

I think the only people the signs will benefit will be the hardware stores that sell the spray paint for profane responses thereto. He double toothpicks, if I was a teenage walking past those signs all summer, it's what I'd probably have done.

(Edited to avoid using a four-letter word, for those who'd faint.)

Edited: 27 March 2014, 01:23
altoona.pa
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

Hope things improve.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 00:38
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

You can't fault the town for at least TRYING to improve things in the city. The No Profanity signs, possible Non Smoking Beaches, and finally they banned kids riding in the backs of pick up trucks. Everything is geared toward making OC safe and family friendly since that's the kind of town they want. For people who want to swear, smoke and ride around in pick ups and throw stuff at people on the streets, etc..........there are other beaches they can go to. I'm in favor of the changes.

10. Re: OC to post "No Foul Language" signs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations