We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
183 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

I'm passing through Ocean City and the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia this upcoming Sunday (April 6th). If anyone has any suggestions on things to see and do on a Sunday morning in this area, I would appreciate it. My goal is to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge by 3pm.

Is there any activity of note on a Sunday morning on the boardwalk? Should I go ahead and eat while still in Ocean City, or is there a notable restaurant with good seafood to enjoy as I make my way down the highway through the eastern shore of Maryland and Virginia.

Last minute trip, but any advice would be appreciated.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

Just to clarify, do you mean the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (which is on the Eastern Shore of VA, Rt. 13 south) or the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (which is not on the ES of VA, Rt. 50 West).

Rehoboth is about 30 minutes from OC (this time of year). The Bridge Tunnel is about 2 hrs from Ocean City (Rt 50 Bridge).

Just south of OC, on Rt. 611 (Stephen Decatur Hwy) is Assateague Island where you can see the wild ponies. I don't know of any activity going on at the boardwalk, other than the usual T-shirt shops, etc. being open. There's Thrashers Fries, Fishers Popcorn and Dolle's Popcorn (the 3 staples of the boardwalk).

For seafood, I live here (I make my own crab cakes, etc.) so others will have to make recommendations.

I will say, Don's Seafood in Chincoteague VA, has the best steamed clams (from his own beds). You'll pass the signs for Chincoteague on your way to the Bridge Tunnel. (if that's your direction). Chincoteague is about midway between here and the Bridge Tunnel.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 12:33
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
183 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

I'm travelling from Rehobooth Beach, DE (where I will have spent the previous night) and heading south - so to clarify, I'm driving towards the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Sorry for the confusion!

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

Right now, the weather is supposed to be sunny and 60, so you'll find people on the boardwalk. Park at the inlet parking lot or any of the side streets. I'm not sure if the meters are active yet or not.

The boardwalk runs from the inlet to 27th St, but once you get past 7th or 8th St, there's not much to see except hotels and condos and some small shops.

At the very beginning of the boardwalk is the Life Saving Station Museum. It's worth going in to see the exhibits. Not large, won't take a lot of time, but it will help you understand OC's past and how the inlet was created and how the city grew.

There's not much going on early in the morning aside from church. Later in the morning, places will open and you can grab some Thrasher's Fries or Fisher's Popcorn to munch on while you're walking around. For lunch, I recommend Harrison's Harbor Watch at the beginning of the boardwalk at the inlet. Excellent sea food and beef. They open at 11:30.

You could rent a bicycle and ride on the boards so you'll be able to see the whole boardwalk, or you could take a horse and buggy tour. They're located right next to Thrasher's at the entrance to the inlet parking lot.

And if you have time, a trip to Assateague is always nice this time of year. You can park for free and walk the beach. You might (or might not) spot some of the wild ponies that live there (be aware of all the horse dung on the beach and roads), and the horses will walk on the highway too, so stay alert. There's a nice nature center at the beginning of the bridge over to Assateague that is interesting to see too. And it's free.

There really isn't a whole lot to do this coming weekend. Next weekend things will pick up quite a bit, and every weekend after that for the rest of the year. But you'll enjoy seeing OC in the "quiet" season.

New York
Level Contributor
666 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

Not sure what time you plan to hit OC or if this might be of interest but Fager's Island offers a Sunday Brunch with Jazz music on 60th on the bayside.

Heading south make a right when you see Hall's restaurant on the corner and go straight down to the bay.

Bay views are nice while you enjoy a good meal and some live music.

If the weather does hit 60 and sunny sit outside if not grab a seat inside.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

New York
Level Contributor
666 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g41298-d4587…

Reviews of Fager's Island brunch

6. Re: Ocean City and Eastern Shore of MD, VA on a Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations