We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying overnight in Salisbury

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Staying overnight in Salisbury

My husband and I are camping at Pocomoke River State Park and plan on driving down the night before we check in and spending a night in a hotel so we get a full day in. Without doing any research I booked a hotel room in Salisbury, not knowing the area I did a little looking online and now I'm unsure if it was a good idea because of what I read about it being an area with a lot of crime. We booked a room at the Budget Inn because of the price, can anyone give me some direction as to if I'm over thinking things or I should spend a little more money to buy some peace of mind. Thanks very much for the help!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

You've posted your question in the Ocean City Forum, Salisbury is 30 miles away.

That being said, you don't say from which direction you'll be traveling.

The Budget Inn is located on the northern side of Salisbury's Business Rt. 13, near all the car dealerships and about 3/4's of a mile from the Salisbury Mall and the ramp to the bypass.

The reviews on Trip Advisor places it at #6 of 14 hotels: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41365-d674604-…

It's a older hotel and has had many names of the years.

On the perimeter of the Mall, there's numerous chain restaurants such as Red Lobster facing Rt. 13.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 14:18
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

I know Salisbury isn't that close to ocean city but I figured that this forum would get more traffic so I would be more likely to get a response before our trip next week.

We are driving down from New York. Are you familiar with the area enough to say wether or not it is safe? We aren't really concerned with the hotel being really nice or not as we are only spending the night and won't be arriving until around 10.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

I would think you'd be fine. There arent' any bars around and the residential area is across Rt. 13 a little further north.

Just like anywhere else, don't leave anything in the car. If memory serves, the motel is "U" shaped, one way in, one way out.

I'd get back on the bypass to continue to the Pocomoke River State Park. Business 13 is all traffic lights. They bypass will put you well south of Salisbury in 10-15 minutes.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

I'm sorry, and can only give you my own personal experience, but Salisbury scares the crap out of me! I was never so happy as when they built the bypass around Salisbury so I didn't have to drive through it anymore.

And to those of you who live there.....I'm sorry. It's just how I feel.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

Before the bypass was built, Rt. 50 ran straight through 'downtown' Salisbury and a poorer part of the city.

The OP is coming from NY, via Rt. 13, and staying on the north perimeter and not the western Rt. 50 part.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

You can also take the bypass to Rt. 50 and about 20 miles east you'll see Rt. 113, make a right and you can get there in about 30minutes or so.

…maryland.gov/Publiclands/…pocomokeriver.aspx

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
382 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

Momoo, scared the crap out of you? Why? I've been driving to Ocean City for almost 40 years, back in the day when Rt. 50 went down to one lane near Cambridge and a few other areas. While the part of Rt. 50 that went through Salisbury wasn't the nicest, I'd never have called it scary. Then again, I went to college in the South Bronx, so driving through a poor area of rural MD wasn't scary to me at all. It never even crossed my mind that it would be "scary" to someone. Blighted and somewhat of an eyesore, yes, but scary?

But what do I know? My young kids deliver food and gifts to worse areas in Annapolis (drug infested housing projects) during the holidays with dh through a program with our church. Maybe I'm in the minority but stuff like that doesn't really bother me. Need to be on guard/aware, sure, but scared? No.

Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

Thank you everyone for your input. I feel a bit better about things so I think we will be sticking with staying there as it's only for the night.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

Don't miss the Evolution Brewery Restaurant. Excellent food and beer.

10. Re: Staying overnight in Salisbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:17