We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
668 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?

I posted this on the general MD forum but figured I should also post here. My husband and I will be spending a weekend on Solomons Island, returning home via 495 Sunday around dinnertime. Is there any place worth stopping for dinner between Solomons and 495? We will be driving along Route 2 (which I think is also Route 4). We're open to any type of food as long as it's good and not too fancy (we'll be in hiking clothes).

5 replies to this topic
La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?

STONEY's was rated by Washingtonian Magazine as having the best crab cakes in the entire region. They have a newer location in a shopping center on Route 2 / 4 in the town of Prince Frederick, as well as their original location at Broomes Island, at the end of a dead-end road.

Although it's a bit of a detour off your route, there are also several restaurants in the town of Chesapeake Beach - including the quite famous ROD AND REEL and also MANGO's at scenic Herrington Harbor / Rose Haven.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
668 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?

Thanks for these suggestions, they all sound like good possibilities. Have you been to Stoney's recently? When I searched Trip Advisor after seeing your post, I found it mentioned within a couple of reviews for Jerry's Place, also in Prince Frederick. Both of those reviewers raved about Jerry's crabcakes and other seafood, and their comments indicated that Stoney's quality, at least for crabcakes, was no longer good.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
668 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?

By the way, I wondered if Jerry's was still open since the last review was in March, so I called them. They are open but Sunday (when we will be passing by) it's only 1-7 and with a limited menu--in case any one else needs this info. "Limited" does include crabcakes.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?

Try using "yelp" for some recommendations. (you can plug in the town name "Prince Frederick") You will get more up to date reviews on places like Stoney's. I'm afraid I would not second the suggestion of Rod n Reel, or Mangos. Neither was worth the money when we dined there and others give it mediocre reviews. It's too much a detour for barely so so food.

Rockville, MD
Level Contributor
668 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?

Thanks for the yelp suggestion--I just did a search and the reviews sold me on Jerry's. Now let's hope we make it through the floodwaters!

Reply to: where to eat on way back from Solomons to 495?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Solomons
More Solomons Topics