We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casual dining for big group?

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Casual dining for big group?

We will have a group of 15, teens and adults for a week in Barnstable. Looking for suggestions for a casual place for dinner that takes reservations, as well as best takeout (seafood, pizza, asian)? We will be there in August for a family wedding. Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casual dining for big group?

I'm trying to think of places that can accommodate such a large group. For Chinese I like Dragon Lite on Main Street in Hyannis. For a very casual seafood place try Cooke's Seafood in Hyannis. You order at the counter and then sit down so this wouldn't be a place for reservations. I like Sam Diegos for Mexican. Maybe Bobby Byrnes for American pub food.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casual dining for big group?

Perhaps Brazilian Grill in Hyannis?

www.braziliangrill-capecod.com/index.php

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

www.yelp.com/biz/brazilian-grill-hyannis…

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casual dining for big group?

I thought of the Brazilian grill too but I've been there twice. Once was good and once was bad so I didn't suggest it. lol. It's a cool concept though.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casual dining for big group?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g41453-Barnstabl…

On this list of restaurants near where you are staying I know about just two. Mattekeese is right near the whale watch boat and has a lovely spot right there on the water. It is pricy though so take a look at the menu before you decide whether to go or not. You could always just pop in for Clam Chowder and the gorgeous sunset view. The other one that gets good reviews is the Dolphin. With each of these please call and see if they can give you reservations for your group. Keep in mind that just about all the restaurants on the Cape will give you a take out order. I don't yet know of one that doesn't. So it might be easy to order the fish and chips type meals from Cooke's on Rt 132 in Hyannis for take out or the fried scallops that melt in your mouth from Baxter's Boat House on the Hyannis Harbor. Keep in mind that the grocery stores will cook lobsters for you. Just be sure that the cut the shells for you too so that you don't have to struggle to get them out of their shells. Have a wonderful family reunion on the Cape.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casual dining for big group?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
96 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casual dining for big group?

One of the first places we stop at when we arrive on the Cape is Kream 'm Kone in W Dennis on the Swan RIver. It is roomy inside and has a patio as well. Great seafood, along with burgers, chicken and hot dogs. The Lobster Boat has loads of seating. They'd just need to pull tables and chairs together. Chapin's has a big patio too and not only seafood on the menu. Hearth & Kettle with many items that are not seafood. Another poster mentioned they visited Joey's Pizza. My favorite is Carmine's in Chatham and it sells slices. Up in the Tripadvisor search bar, a dark green horizontal banner at the top of this page, type restaurants Barnstable. It will list them by popularity and reviews too. Maybe on google you can find some coupons and early bird specials too. Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casual dining for big group?

I like Kream n Kone. It's another casual place where you order at the counter and seat yourself. I disagree on the Hearth and Kettle. It's a chain and not very appetizing.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
96 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casual dining for big group?

Would Hearth n Kettle make a good breakfast choice? With a group of teens a person needs options. How about Egg & I for a large group? I read it was purchased. I recall them having a lot of tables & chairs. Oh, and don't forget a dozen and a half of Dunkin Donuts! Coffee, cream and sugar and Dunkin Donuts! Num! Michtraveler said the group head count was 15.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casual dining for big group?

Sandy, Egg and I is now South Street Depot. Here's some recent info and a link to the menus for BLD.

…wickedlocal.com/article/…140727539

P.S. I never had breakfast at H&K having been so turned off by the two or three dinners we have had there over the last two decades. Try the Keltic Kitchen instead. If in Dennis Port you can also go to Wee Packet and the Red Cottage. Venture into Harwichport to Bonatt's....you won't need to eat lunch after that though.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 12:30
Midwest USA
Level Contributor
96 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casual dining for big group?

Thanks CCC. I think Egg and I needed to be revamped seeing it the time we stopped there. I am glad someone bought it.

Reply to: Casual dining for big group?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barnstable
More Barnstable Topics