We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape cod or Maine?

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cape cod or Maine?

We are doing a trip and wonder if tying to fit toomuch in? NY 4 nights then (flut to) Niagara 2 nights finger lakes 2nights, Lake placid 2 nights, Stowe (1) Jackson (1) Kennebunkport (1) and Boston (3) before flying back to UK. Would we be better missing 2 of the 1 night stops and heading stright for Boston to have 2 days Cape Cod ?

Any advice on itinerary appreciated .. we go in August and we are 2 adults and older-teen daughters keen to see lots but not spend all our time in the car

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

A couple of your destinations are very similar. You might consider dropping a couple of these. Also, how you arrange your itinerary somewhat depends on your interests. Are you interested in seeing as many different resort towns as possible? Then your existing itinerary makes sense, except that you might cut the Finger Lakes down to one night so that you can squeeze in one night in Cape Cod town. Are you trying to see a range of American landscapes? Then you might cut Lake Placid, which combines the qualities of a beautiful lake amid mountains (similar to the Finger Lakes amid rolling hills and the Green Mountain scenery of Stowe or the White Mountain scenery of Jackson, NH). Similarly, you might make a choice between Stowe and Jackson, NH. Both are essentially ski resorts, but in slightly different landscapes. Stowe is surrounded by rolling mountains that are lush and green in summer (like the mountains around Lake Placid). Jackson, NH, is surrounded by rockier, taller, and more rugged mountains that rise above the treeline. Kennebunkport is a New England coastal resort not terribly unlike upscale resort towns on Cape Cod, except that the coast in Maine is rockier and the water in Maine is too cold for swimming for all but the hardiest (whereas the ocean off Cape Cod is substantially warmer in summer). So, unless Kennebunkport especially interests you, you might cut it in favor of a Cape Cod town. Or, for that matter, especially if you like rocky coasts and don't care about swimming, you might just see Kennebunkport and skip Cape Cod.

A third possibility for your trip is to maximize relaxation and enjoy the warm American summer as much as possible. Then you might try to minimize the number of your destinations so that you can really settle in in a couple places instead of trying to pack too much in. Maybe pick one mountain resort and one coastal resort, based on the comparison above. If you want to minimize moving around, you might also cut the Finger Lakes, though they are lovely.

Also, unless you are spending two nights in Niagara Falls because you arrive late the night before your day there and leave early the day after, I think you could cut Niagara to one night. You can really get your fill of the falls in one day, and then maybe move on to another destination.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

Perhaps if you told us why you have chosen these particular locations it would help. New York and Boston and Niagara are fine Not sure about Lake Placid and the Finger Lakes for two nights each.

If it were me I would choose Cape Cod over Kennebunkport but that's a personal choice.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

Markoboston and I were obviously typing away at the same time and have virtually said the same things. If you are interested in mountains you will also see these as you drive along the N.Y. Thruway on your way to Boston.

You will also go through the Berkshires as you enter the Mass. Turnpike.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

I do think you will find that you are spending a lot of time in the car.

Niagara is really taking you out of your way for the rest of the trip.

If you wanted to visit NY then all of these places are great and many people vacation in all of them during the summer. Or you can see some of NH and Vt but you will spend so much time trying to figure out where you are, that it will be time to get in the car to figure out where you are going. CC or Maine- both fabulous, no right or wrong answers.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

Keep in mind that in high season (August) it is much harder to get a motel room for less than two nights. You may find it easier if you come to the Cape mid-week.

Plymouth, MA
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

I think the cape is adding uneccessay driving time for you on a trip where you're already doing quite a bit of driving. If you skip one of the lake areas you might consider a stop in Burlington by which is close to Stowe and has a nice college vibe while still in lake Champlain. I'd stick with keenebunkport and add in ogunquit just a few miles away.

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

Thanks so much for to you all for posting your replies which are very informative - coming from Old england (Hampshire /Surrey) we didnt know quite what to expect in terms of how the land=scapes differ but the distances certainly do!

To expand - we thought we had to see Niagara and rest is designed to see New Engalnd in a way which is not touristy and finishes in Boston.. we love seeing different places whrer the landscpe is lovely (inc off the trail/less-commercial) we plan to hire a car, but not too much unpacking - so best of the options?

esp delight in smaller b&B/inns which are not covered in our agent's list..

Many thanks to all of you !

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

First let me say that I am the innkeeper at the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast. We have hosted a number of "Brits" over the years, and so I am familiar with the "must-see-Niagra Falls" mind set. Here is my take on your dilemma....

Obviously, how much you "see" depends on how much you are willing to pack, unpack and travel. However the quality of your experience will depend on your relaxing and soaking in the beauty of the places you choose. If you decide to come to Cape Cod, which I can highly recommend, you should plan to spend at least several days there. A longer stay will allow you to experience the uniqueness of the place and each little village. Chose a base to stay so you can visit Provincetown, Wellfleet, Chatham and perhaps take a day-trip to Nantucket. Eastham works well as a base and it is one of the most popular beach destinations because of the magnificent broad sandy ocean and bay beaches. The beauty of the outer cape, where the Cape Cod National Seashore has protected the unique landscape and beaches, is a must. If you decide to stay in a B+B, take a look at the Fort Hill Area and the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast in Eastham.

In any event, I would skip Niagra Falls and focus on a few locations where you can really experience the beauty of New England. If you insist on staying 4 nights in NY and 3 nights in Boston then I would take the remaining nights and stay on Cape Cod, leaving a trip to Maine, NH and Vt for another time.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

One more thing. You might be interested in a recent article from the Daily Telegraph about Cape Cod. There are several suggestions for lodging including each region of the Cape.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/northame…

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape cod or Maine?

thanks you everyone for your helpful advice- even if as is inevitable, I am getting more to chew on than I expected. I think althought sounds ownderful may have to leave Cape Cod for another time in order to do the lakes and mountains and cities. Or I break the news to family that Niagar is not all its craked up to be -- is that the subtext from you US cousins in the know?

best regards