We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Which Brewster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Booked april 20 and 21 at ocean's edge. first time there and cape newbies. Good places for breakfast takeout, lunch sandwiches, not fancy but good dinner takeout, maybe even seafood?

Also, bike itinerary suggestions from there? 2 adults with an 8 year old so not too far. i know we can pick up the path from there, where to head/stop. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Well, the best spot for breakfast is the Brewster Coffee Shop, about a mile west on Rt. 6A - not sure if they have takeout, but I am assuming they do. For seafood, there's Breakwater Fish & Lobster on Underpass Rd which will cook lobster for you, etc. but they are not inexpensive. Not fancy but good food is Ardeo's also on Underpass Rd. I think I read recently that El Guapo's was closed, but I could be wrong (also on Underpass) Well-priced & good Mexican.

There are a lot of spots in Orleans, a few miles east on Rt. 6A, but I am less familiar with them. You may find more open there as it has a larger year-round population than does Brewster.

As for the bike trail, you can't really go wrong - heading east toward Nickerson State Park/Orleans is a nice route but if you head in the other direction toward Harwich you will also pass some nice scenery as you pass by the ponds.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 00:02
Massachusetts
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

If you're riding with an 8 year old I wouldn't go any further north (east) than Nickerson State Park. Once you get to Orleans it gets busy and there is a stretch on a busy road. Start at Oceans Edge and ride towards Harwich. Pretty ride and usually not crowded.

Agreed on Brewster Coffee House for Breakfast. Bonats in Harwichport is also good. I think El Guapos is open and they are worth a stop. Sir Crickets in Orleans is very good and not $$$$

Have fun

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Breakfast, head over to Chatham Airport to Hangar B. Seriously, the BEST Cape Cod breakfast spot.Why not head to Ice Cream Smuggler in Dennis and perhaps Mercantile for take out sandwiches for the beach? Fin in Dennis has great food. I LOVE Guapos (definitely open) on Underpass in Brewster for really good Mexican. They serve wine and beer now!!

Please note I am a food snob and cannot recommend a few places mentioned previously. Reviews including friends and family are not so favorable so cross reference on Yelp and Chowhound. I hate for you to strike out. I don't want to contradict my peers here who may actually have had recent great experiences.

Lastly, if you need one special meal I HIGHLY recommend 28 Atlantic or any meal/drink at Wequasett Inn, about 20 from OC in Harwich.

Have fun!!!

Edited: 15 April 2012, 02:02
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

CC - the OP asked for "Good places for breakfast takeout, lunch sandwiches, not fancy but good dinner takeout" near Ocean Edge, which is in Brewster, close to the Orleans line. They will be coming next weekend, so they should travel 15 minutes to Mercantile in Dennis for takeout sandwiches for the beach? Your suggestions are all great places to eat but are not exactly responsive to the post.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 04:15
conn
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Good point Kendrick, I too, somtimes miss the point of the poster.

nys
Level Contributor
197 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Last year we (parents and two boys 7 and 10 rode from Brewster Bikes to the Salt Pond Visitor Center. We rented one bike for me as mine was stolen, and I haven't replaced it yet. Kids rode their own bikes. We had lunch and then explored the Visitor Center, and then returned back to Brewster. My kids are good bike riders, and it was not a difficult ride for them as it's mostly flat.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,925 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Sorry about your bike CedarValley. Yes the Cape Cod Rail Trail was recently resurfaced and in at least one place rerouted for safety. It was always pretty great but even better now. Glad that you all could enjoy it. I hope a lot of visitors will give it a spin.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,925 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Wouldn't it be funny Kendrick if the OP, on their first trip to the Cape, decided to indeed go into Dennis and go to one of the most beautiful Cape beaches at Mayflower? Then they would be able to pick the suggestion of the Merchantile off the list and avoid the skimpy beach shack options of burgers and dogs. Dennis is not all that far from Brewster after all. It's not like that suggestion was to someone staying in Falmouth...lol.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,925 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Whoops, coming ahead of the actual season start they won't have the opportunity to eat at the beach shack I mentioned since it won't be open making a take out picnic even more important to have.

I hope the weather will be glorious so that they can at least enjoy a stroll on the beach if not a swim.

The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Takeout and biking suggestions near Ocean's Edge?

Thanks for the info, all. is the bike path paved or gravel?