We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brewster in Mid-October 2013

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Brewster in Mid-October 2013

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cape Cod in mid October so that we can see the changing of the leaves and enjoy the whale watching, etc. We are from South Texas and don't get to see those things. This will probably be our only trip to New England.

I put a lot of trust into the expert Trip Advisors' advice, and non experts, and try to get organized on things to do and see and make note of recommended restaurants, etc. We really want to take in the whole Cape while we are there! My question is: Is October a good month to do this, especially considering what our interests are?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

Sorry, but Cape Cod is NOT the place to go to see foliage. Most of the vegetation is scrub pine,o do not change color. And while we highly praise the October weather on Cape Cod, you'll probably be freezing since you're coming from Texas. You certainly will not want to go for a swim. How about Boston and someplace north for foliage, depending on your specific dates?

Edited: 09 January 2013, 23:16
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

I have to disagree with Alan. I was in Brewster last October in the foliage was beautiful. Though there are a lot of scrub pines on Cape Cod, there are still plenty of trees that turn color. We went shopping in Chatham where everything was open and where there was a harvest festival, walked on the beach in Brewster, ate dinner at chillingsworth and did some antiquing. You can golf , ride bikes, and do a lot of oth.er things as well

Edited: 09 January 2013, 23:41
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

While there is some color to enjoy, the Cape is NOT a leaf peepers dream. Also you can enjoy warmer, to some degree, weather but avoid the summer crowds if you can arrive early in Sept instead of October if your schedule permits. There is much to enjoy on the Cape. I hope you'll really have a great time.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

No one claimed it was a leaf peepers dream, however it still has fall foliage - it is New England after all -and there's lots to do in October, including whale watches. October is a lovely time to visit.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

You already made the point Kendrick. I was only trying to manage expectations for the OP. As we all know, New England is famous for color tours but these folks need to understand what they will or will not see on Cape Cod so that they can choose properly.

Of course the Cape has other wonderful (better?) things to enjoy.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

Thank you so much for your input. Perhaps we will consider going in mid September instead of October.....the weather might be kinder to us Texans! If I may ask another question: Is mid September considered on- or off-season? We want to avoid heavy crowds and traffic, but don't want to miss out on fun.

And I hear what you are saying about the scrub pines on the Cape, so we can always drive up north to enjoy the leaves changing. We will be staying for 8 days.

I assume that the whales will still be hanging out in September????

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

September is a beautiful time to go as well. High season traditionally ends Labor Day weekend, but don't worry there's still plenty to do, including whale watching.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

Yes, September will be an even better time to be on the Cape. It's off season but everything that interests you will still be open and the families will be gone.

However, going in September means that you will not be leaf peeping even farther north. I hope you don't mind the trade off.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

If the weather is that much better in September, then we are willing to forego the "leaf peeping" for a more pleasant experience! Appreciate the good advice!!

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Brewster in Mid-October 2013

Oh, yes, yes, yes! Cape Cod in mid-September ... it's the absolute best time of year to be here, IMHO. The weather is usually glorious (mid- to upper-70s during the day, sweater-weather evenings), with all the summer stuff still going on - without the crowds.

Unless we have an unusual cold snap before you get here, the waters of Nantucket Sound, an easy drive from Brewster, should still be warm enough for a quick dip. (The Cape Cod Bay waters in Brewster might be a bit chilly for swimming, but they're fantastic for long walks.) And whale watching will still be going strong.

Come in mid-September. You'll love it!

Edited: 11 January 2013, 12:50