We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brockton, Mass.

Schwerin, Germany
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Brockton, Mass.

I will be traveling to Brockton in Sept. with a friend, staying at the Residence Inn. We want to drive around New England a bit, using Brockton as our base (Boston is too expensive for 12 days). Does anybody have some advice where to go, which beaches are nearby ?Nice towns? Farms, museums, seafood places?

Cheers, katinka

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brockton, Mass.

Are you filming a new episode of "Mein neues Leben XXL"? I love that show!

Brockton is probably not a bad base. You are obviously near Cape Cod, Plymouth, Rhode Island, not far from Boston, etc. etc.

The largest German-American club in New England (I think) is in Walpole, which is not too far from Brockton:

http://www.germanclub.org/Home.aspx

I have never been there myself, but if you are from Berlin, Germany and not, z.B., Berlin, New Hampshire, they would probably greet you with open arms.

Note that they are celebrating Oktoberfest on September 11th and 12th this year:

www.germanclub.org/Events/EventCalendar.aspx

Edited: 21 July 2010, 18:16
Schwerin, Germany
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brockton, Mass.

Filming wouldn't be a bad idea,ha. Have you lived in Germany? Thanks for the GermanClub idea. The rest of the places I already know, been there a couple of times. I went to school in Ct. for 1 year. I thought of may be some towns that are not so "obvious" on the road. And there must be more beaches than Cape Cod or M.V.

Or should we may be stay at another town like Brookline or Quincy? I just love the Residence Inn Group, they're so convenient...

Greetings from Berlin

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brockton, Mass.

Brookline or Quincy would be more convenient to Boston (and both probably nicer than Brockton). It all depends on what you want to do. I don't go to the south of Boston much except to shop at IKEA and to buy pure alcohol (Everclear) in Rhode Island (where it is sold). I did see the B-52s perform six years ago in Brockton, however.

I went to school for a year in Munich, many years ago.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brockton, Mass.

I don't know if you are already familiar with Brockton but it is not the kind of town that someone would recommend for you to stay in. There are some very rough sections (crime is common) and is not an attractive town. Do you have a car? You would need one if you are staying in Brockton although there is a bus system I think. But if you can afford to, stay in Quincy instead. Quincy has good public transportation and is next to Boston so your daily commute to visit the city will be MUCH faster. Quincy also has some marinas and there is a public beach in Wollaston which is part of Quincy (or at least right next to it). There are also some historic homes in Quincy and some good restaurants. Brookline is a wonderful, pretty section of Boston even though it is considered a separate town legally. There is a lot of easy public transportation and is a very safe town with historic homes and nice parks. It is also expensive unfortunately! But please, think again about Brockton, I think you will be disappointed as there is nothing to do in that city itself except wish you weren't there!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brockton, Mass.

I just feel the need to point out that the Residence Inn Brockton is located on the other side of Rt. 24, directly off the highway, so not in a "bad' part of town. The other posters are correct, you would be closer to Boston in Brookline or Quincy, but the Brockton location is an excellent one for access to the Cape & as well as points north on Rt. 495. You are only about an hour from Falmouth, lots of nice beaches & restaurants there. From Falmouth, you can catch the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. The closest beach to Brockton is probably Horseneck in Westport. The Back Eddy is a wonderful restaurant nearby. Close to the hotel is Easton which has the Sheep Pasture - a nature reserve with trails. Borderland State Park is in Sharon. A good restaurant in Easton is Loco - a tapas place. You might also want to visit the Outlets at Wrentham, less than 30 minutes from the hotel, and maybe Ikea - about 10 -15 minutes away. If you want to avoid driving in to Boston, you can park at the Braintree or Quincy-Adams stops of the Red Line and take the subway in. If you do plan to drive into the city, make sure to go after rush-hour as Rt. 24 is extemely busy at that time.

http://www.nrtofeaston.org/home.html

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/borderland/

www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/hbch.htm

http://www.thebackeddy.com/

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

http://www.locotapas.com/

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brockton, Mass.

Depending on early/late sept, it is not always the beachiest time of year. Would just ask you be at least try to give an idea of how much traveling you want to do? Are you only staying in one place?

Would you consider others? are you heading in NH, VT, ME?

What kind of farm are you looking for?

etc, etc.

The entire coastline of Ma for instance has its charms and good food from Scituate, Cohasset, on down to Plymouth. Same with North Shore especially Newburyport, Rockport, Gloucester.

Schwerin, Germany
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brockton, Mass.

Thank you all for the good advices, tips and also warnings. We have a car and will be doing a lot of traveling. I know, Brockton isn't the "place to be" but it'll only work as our basecamp. Anyhow, I'll look into Quincy and Braintree and maybe we'll find something affordable there.

Thanks again,

cheers,

Katinka

8. Re: Brockton, Mass.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Brockton