We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

toronto
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

Arriving in Chatham this Friday (24th) for a week - any idea what to expect weather wise? Are the nights getting colder? Here it is still hot and I am still in summer mode but now the long range forecast shows it might be in the 60's?? Any thoughts., suggestions what to bring?

What is considered appropriate dress for a "fancy" restaurant?

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

Hi. Bring layers. Chatham has a reputation of being a little "foggy"...which can be a little damp. If it's cold than it feels raw and if it's hot the fog feels like a wet blanket. Having said that: I love the fog...

Typical weather in Chatham: Fog, maybe some showers, a little sunshine, big gusts of wind, more sun, sounds of thunderstorms in the distance, temperature drop, 45 seconds of pouring rain, bright sunshine and this is just in the morning.

Bring layers. Are you going to the band concert downtown? (say yes). Get there early, (people start putting down chairs and blankets in the morning) put down a plastic tablecloth with your beach chairs on top of it (plastic keeps out the damp).

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was 60 degrees this week for a few minutes.....layers, layers, layers.

P.S. Chatham Bars Inn dining room requires a jacket and tie for men....none of the men in my life will tolerate this while on vacation. This is the only dining room I can think of which does require this resort wear. Everywhere else for dinner: Khaki pants and a shirt with a collar is generally fine. The only ones dressed up are tourists and the locals don't waste their time fighting the crowds in restaurants this time of year....

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

It is downright Autumnal this week, thanks to a front that is moving thru. Be prepared for a 20 degree swing in temps. The layering advice above is best to follow. Cape Cod Casual is always permissable everywhere (with the excpetion of CBI as noted above). Cape Cod Casual ranges from flip flops, jeans and a tshirt to a sundress with a cardigan for the gals or a dress shirt and chinos for the guys.

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

And fussyguest is right. Not to sound snobby, but the tourists and summer folks tend to overdress. Leave the glitzy and glittery at home if you want to try and fit in... This ain't the mainland! :-)

toronto
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

thanks - layers it is! fussyguest - can you tell me about the band concert? Is it the one I saw in Orleans on Saturday? If so, I have the info...if not, can you tell me about the one you're talking of??

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

Hi there: Chatham band concert starts downtown in the park next to the Wayside Inn (Kate Gould park) at 8:00 every friday evening. Everyone goes early to "claim" their spot. (we put our chairs/blankets down in the mid-morning before the beach). Your blankets and chairs are safe, nobody moves them about more than a few inches...

This is completely different than the Sat. night concert in Orleans....Bring a jacket, it can get very cool. Buy a balloon (or two) and plan to eat dinner early if you're going to eat in town...We've brought a picnic to eat in the park...or pizza and a bottle of wine, whatever....it is a lovely evening and over early.

Old tunes, show tunes, marches, "The Bunny Hop" and waltzes to dance to...amazing event that feels like another time from long ago. Now, if the fog happens to creep in for a bit....you've been transported to Brigadoon.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

My dilemna is that we arrive into Chatham late afternoon this Friday..but would still like to head down to the concert...should we still take chairs or are we doomed to stand a mile away?? any other suggestions to enable us to see it? Is it easy to get parking that close to the beginning of the concert?

And I guess you should bring chairs to the Orleans concert? My info shows the gates open at 5pm and concert begins at 7pm...are you advising we get there for 5pm and have our "picnic" between then and when the concert starts?

I love outdoor concerts and hope we can make both. We have two teens with us - do you think they would enjoy either or both? Thanks very much for the info.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

Here's a weird thought. Framingham has Friday evening concerts every week starting at 6 PM to 8 PM. It just happens to be right on your way AND is about two hours BEFORE you'd get to Chatham. Hows that for coincidence (or whatever you'd like to call it). There's always room there. I'll attach the web site but if you need more specifics, let me know.

framingham.com/rec/concerts_green_2007.htm

AlanM

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

Hi! I know NOthing about the Orleans concert...never been and don't know about it...others might...you might start a separate thread regarding the Orleans concert. I cannot compare the two...

Chatham: Firstly: You don't Have to DO anything when you get here....that's truly what the Cape is all about.

The band concert in Chatham is centered around a band stand. The acoustics are lousy everywhere, so don't worry about getting closer....there's plenty of room to set up your chairs and sit.

When you get into Chatham, if you're not exhausted, and if you think you want to: just drop off/set up your chairs at the park. Go back and unpack the car wherever you're staying...get a pizza or go to Kreme 'n Kone for fried everything and head downtown early for parking. What I do: Usually, we park in Chatham center early, window shop and eat there before the concert....parking is a nightmare in Chatham from May until the end of Sept. Some people park in the parking lots of closed banks...be careful of posted "no parking" areas....you'll be ticketed or towed...

Teenagers will hate this concert. Well, they'll probably hate the music...My kids, before they got their license, would like to be downtown during the concert so they could "troll" for boys or girls to hang out with...otherwise: only my youngest stays for the Bunny Hop. Chatham has a lovely, centralized Main Street with plenty of people about and it would be perfectly safe for your teens to "walk the streets" as a group as it were...

The Chatham Band is nostalgic, local fun. Everybody goes at some point....you'll see paintings of Band Night in the galleries downtown.

9. Re: The age old question - WHAT TO WEAR??!! Help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Chatham