We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

Which Chatham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
2 posts
Save Topic
Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in cape cod. This our first trip the cape. I am trying to decide between Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn. Please compare and contrast the two resorts. No kids on this trip.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

Both are very nice. CBI (Chatham Bars Inn) had a great deal on travelzoo.com, but be careful about the type of room that you book. Some of the Inn rooms are not as luxurious as the rest of the accommodations. I prefer the Wequassett, due to their focus on service. Their on-site dining is excellent. CBI has a beautiful spa and Wequassett does not. Have a great trip.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

As the previous poster suggetsed, absolutely the Wequassett Inn, you will really enjoy it there. I recently walked thru visiting friends that live on the Cape and we headed for their seaside deck, it was wonderful relaxing there. I saw the Chatham Bars Inn a few times and we're hearing conflicting reviews all the time about it. The Wequassett Inn is where you want to go for your 25th wedding anniversary, wait till you see it!

Have a wonderful time.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

Both resorts are lovely h with their own plusses and minuses. CBI is a short walk to Chatham which is a lovely town. WI is more 'remote' but the setting is beautiful. I would go with whichever one gives you the most luxurious room for the least money. I'm guessing (could be wrong though) that CBI has more waterfront rooms if that's your preference.

I really jumped onto this thread to say that you MUST make a reservation at 28 Atlantic at the WEquasset for your special anniversary dinner. Ask to be near the window. We celebrated a big birthday of mine there in June and it was delicious, lovely and you felt like it was a real special occasion. People dressed up (many men had jackets on) and it was a great evening.

Don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices....they are both great spots.

MA
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

What time of year a are you going, both spots have lots of weddings on the weekend and can tie up the resort, also CBI seems to be laoded with kids

I would go for WEQ, less hectic

Washington State
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

We are going the third week of September. Weather hopefully will be good and kids should be back in school. Thanks so much for the helpful information.

Chatham...
Level Contributor
109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

I would say, Wequassett over Chatham Bars. Although Chatham Bars has the advantage of the setting and view (over the barrier beach to the ocean) and a beach on the open bay, The Wequassett has many outstanding features. They do have many water views, too, but not from all rooms. And they do have a small beach, plus boating options. But they have put a crazy amount of money into the resort over the last several years; perhaps their biggest project was completed this past winter. The facilities are outstanding. Gorgeous pool with a bar and eating area overlooking the open bay; including a fire pit to sit around for a drink when the air cools down. A casual open dining area overlooking the pool; "28 Atlantic", a sophisticated, contempory dining room; the adjacent "Tavern", beautifully done with tables and leather chairs around a large fireplace. This has its own menu (not typical bar food), but you can also order anything off the main DR menu. To make my point about dining, "28 Atlantic" is mentioned in almost every guide or travel article.. you don't see any of the Chatham Bars Inn eating venues getting any attention.

There has always been a service problem at CBI... for years. Plus, there is a sound problem in many rooms that couldn't really be addressed regardless of renovations. Sometimes, depending on whre you are, you can hear the person in the next room whispering!

Wequassett has wonderful tennis, and if you choose, the hotel can get you a tee-time at a very well regarded and expensive private golf club a few minutes away... I know; we are members there.

So I would say if you want service, lovely rooms, both private and public, good dining options, great facilities and a resort that runs like an 8-day clock, choose the Wequassett. You will need to drive into Chatham to stroll (about 8 minutes) or dine in town. But, you can also go to CBI for a drink on the front porch to get the view for a "days-gone-by" experience. Or have lunch down on the beach one afternoon. But it's not worth the stay, in my opinion. We've gone to both places many, many times, and that's my opinion and those of friends who have stayed there. Hope this helps.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

Pick one. They're both great. Different, but great.

We've stayed at both, hosted weddings at both and loved both.

Best to get Very Specific information while booking (especially at the Wequassett..I see no reason to spend a ton of money on a room overlooking the parking lot!) your room. There are many options, especially at CBI, so be sure you're where you thought you were going to be.

(whispers in the CBI room? must have been in the haunted wing. ;)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

CBI: Grand Hotel experience. Lovely and unique. (golf course right there)

Wequassett: A little more polished, perhaps. Stunning too.

28 Atlantic has fantastic food. The CBI grill is a great poolside setting for drinks and apps.

Lots of families in pink and green with popped collars at CBI, depending upon when you visit. Wequassett is perhaps a bit more 'adult'.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

We had a family dinner at 28 Atlantic last night. Upon arrival the air was crisp and the setting divine. The grounds are immaculate. The West Indian staff outside friendly and cheerful. The hostesses were a little busy trying to accommodate our table request. We made our res on Open Table and I later emailed the hotel direct asking for a 4 top near the window. Apparently this was not arranged but the two women happily assisted. Our table was magnificent. Our server Curtis was great. Oz was his assistant. The menu is brief but ample really. I do not eat meat and wanted fish. They offered sea bass which mom ordered. My teen ordered Salmon. They have scallops and monkfish, neither that I like so I was waning between the king crab legs or the petite lobster bake (both 47.00 USD). I asked Curtis to choose and surprise me. My daughter had the duo of french onion soup, one a typical baked gratinee and one a bisque. Mom ate the bisque. I had a taste and found it lovely if you enjoy onion which I do not. The bread was a sampling with a really hard not too fresh tasting rye roll, another hard salty fat breadstick, a french roll and a lovely raisin walnut roll that tasted like Iggy's or Pain D'Avignon. They serve a bit of EVOO and salted butter.

The place filled up showing no signs of economic woes. The music was not too enjoyable, rather oldster style and a tad bit too loud. The dining room is magnficent. Behind us, the waiter and male dining guest talked over 20 min. about the menu and the chef. It was slightly annoying due to the length and the level making it hard to process out their convo and focusing on mine. I have never seen a waiter remain at a table so long but the dining guest enjoyed it.

There were well mannered children in the dining room. The bar with lighter fare was packed. The two tops windowside had another two top adjacent, a bit too close for my comfort if that was where I was seated.

Our food came and was lovely to behold.Curtis chose the clam bake for me. It was a full shelled lobster in a butter sauce. There was a slice of slightly undercooked Yukon cold potato and a LOVELY corn pudding. 4 spears of white and green asparagus were on the side. Mom liked her sea bass with a pretty ratattouille. Maggie said her salmon was "Ok" but she loved the side of mashed potatoes (6.00 USD). She loves salmon and always orders it whereever we go and said this was just ok.

For dessert Maggie had 4 samples of sorbet. They came in homemade mini ice cream cones. She loved the sorbet not the cones. I tasted one and it was a little odd. Mom and I shared a rhubarb strawberry crisp with cheescake ice cream. It was nice but not wow. It was definitely piping hot.

Mom had Bass Ale and Maggie and I had tap water. Our bill was 157.00 and we tipped beyond that well over 20% because Curtis was amazing.

Overall it's a great spot. The apps and dessert prices are in par with most high to moderate end dining spots. Entrees are a bit more.

I MUCH prefer WI to CBI for the same reasons above..more intimate and so special.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wequassett Inn or Chatham Bars Inn?

Love your thoughts and this review Caribchakita. Thanks for taking the time to share all this with us.

In awe of your taste buds, CCC.

Get answers to your questions about Chatham