We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort is better?

princeton jct
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort is better?

“ Daniel Webster Inn or Wequasset Inn? ”

Aug 27, 2009 6:08 PM

We are spending 5 nights in Cape Cod early Oct and are considering the Daniel Webster Inn (a suite) or staying in the Wequasset Inn. Which resort is better for accomodations, value, location, food, staff? I've had recommendations for both places but am unsure which to choose.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort is better?

Well, perhaps you should first decide in which town you want to stay. Sandwich or Chatham. Sandwich is in the Upper Cape, that is the beginning of the Cape, Chatham in the Lower Cape about 40 minutes drive from Sandwich.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort is better?

Ksmcenroe: did you know you can read Trip Advisor hotel reviews? They're very different from the other. Check out the 'Travelers Photos' too.

Here's the Daniel Webster TA link:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41802-d89848-R…

And the Wequassett (their restaurant, 28 Atlantic, is outstanding):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41499-d226567-…

Here's another idea, Chatham Bars Inn (gorgeous):

http://www.chathambarsinn.com/

and the TA reviews:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41499-d89650-Reviews-Chatham_Bars_Inn-Chatham_Cape_Cod_Massachusetts.html

The reviews of all of these are uneven. Ask a lot of questions and be very specific when you book a room at any of these places as they're all very expensive. Be sure you don't get stuck with parking lot views if you're paying for water vistas. You should be sure to get the biggest bang for your buck (especially in this economic climate).

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort is better?

And the President thought he had problems, public option/no public option. This is serious business. I hope you choose wisely. I never know how to use the reviews when you get such different one's for the same time period. I think some people are just fussyguests (this is a pun and not a jab at a very nice person),

I think my choice would be based on location. So, if you will take me, then we are going to Chatham.

BTW, I love the Princeton area. My brother lives in Plainsboro and my nephew is on the WW-P varsity lacrosse team.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort is better?

neslaw1: lol. very funny. You should try to stay at CBI, it's quite beautiful. They advertise deals on travelzoo every so often (last year they had rooms at $145.00 a night.)

The TA reviews aren't a bad place to start. But read them with a critical eye. I guess you just have to rely on common sense when choosing the perfect vacation lodging, right?

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort is better?

but I really think a picture is worth a thousand words. I really scrutinize the travelers photos when I check out the TA reviews.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort is better?

FG

Glad you chuckled. If you check out the CBI reviews, there are folks who complained they had to cross a "busy" road. I guess it should have a tunnel. Maybe a "little dig". Folks have to understand that popular places have more rooms than tables and that everyone wants to linger over that drink at sunset.

KS

Since you will be on the Cape after the season, you may want to ask about staffing as there are many who leave after the summer but this is an issue everyplace.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort is better?

Off season changes include decreased staffing along with decreased rates, decreased room availability, decreased traffic, but you won't notice much change in early October. The Wequassett and CBI have a busy autumn wedding season so don't wait too long to book your stay. (no tunnel necessary nor has there ever been any cause for concern, but whatever.... You want busy? Try route 28 through Dennis.) I'm guessing Dan'l Webster has their share of weddings too in the fall.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,785 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort is better?

Great news.. we've been driving on Rt. 28 (and all over) in Dennis for two weeks now and it has been smooth sailing. Watch out though on Monday morning (Labor Day) as there will be a 5K race in Dennis from mid-Dennis north to Dennis village.

Is it just because we are from Chicago or what? I never understand all the talk on this forum about so much traffic.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort is better?

You must be traveling on a different route 28 then..We just sat in bumper to bumper traffic from Hyannis to Chatham for an hour. (from the airport at the rotary to the house. ugh)

10. Re: Which resort is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Chatham