We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chatham saving beach - adding sand

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Chatham saving beach - adding sand

Dramatic photo and good news for the residents and visitors at the end of the article

wickedlocal.com/chatham/news/x23532290/Study…

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

Sad isn't it? There was a lot of good information in that article including this:

"But the situation will only get worse. And residents are also worried about Forest and Pleasant Street beaches. Keon said Dennis and Harwich are also facing severe erosion, but Chatham is bearing the brunt because it’s at the end of the line."

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

The mention of Dennis in the article was surprising because these are the beaches we frequent and we saw nothing in the way of errosion as recently as two months ago.

Like Chatham, Harwich has just a few beaches and they are all Nantucket Sound beaches. I hope that the problem has not spread to Harwich. Dennisport and West Dennis are blessed with beautiful beaches along Nantucket Sound which represent about 40% of our 16 beaches and are precious to residents and visitors alike.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

It's a bit of a domino effect and eventually all the Nantucket Sound beaches will be affected at some point and to some degree. The same thing has happened to Bay side beaches. Thumpertown Beach comes and goes yearly. Really, nothing new here at all.

Chatham
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

My grandmother lived near Forest Beach Road for almost 60 years. It is all cyclical - it builds up for many years, it recedes for many years, and on and on.... There is nothing you can do to beat mother nature.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

Sandbarnative, were you able to grow up enjoying the beach by your grandmother's house every summer? Hope so cause then you have your memories.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

And of course they still have the beach.

Just as Dennis still has their Nantucket Sound beaches. For now.

Chatham
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

Yes Cape Cod Charlie, I did grow up enjoying Nanna's beach. Mom & Dad lived (still do) on Old Harbor Road. Very nice memories. My favorite Chatham Beach, unfortunately is gone - Claflin Landing. I loved getting off work at Chatham Cookware biking down to Andrew Hardings or Claflin Landing and jumping into the cold ocean. Felt great after working in the hot kitchen all day. Seems all my haunts are disappearing for better or worse, fortunately most for the better...

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

We never mention Chatham Cookware on this board but it's a great place for breakfast or lunch. Don't know how late they close but in the morning it's one of the first to open isn't it? How do they make such delicious hot tea? We always want to stop that for a tea and a hot chocolate.

9. Re: Chatham saving beach - adding sand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Chatham