We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaweedy beaches

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
seaweedy beaches

We loved the Chatham beaches for years and then stopped going when for several years Hardings, Cockle Cove and Ridgevale were all so choked with seaweed that you couldn't enjoy wading or swimming in the water. We're heading there this week and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the conditions have been recently? We prefer the softer sand of the Chatham beaches, but will head up towards Brewster again if the seaweed is too out of control. One would think that with what is charged to park, the town of Chatham could afford a rake!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seaweedy beaches

I was just at Cockle Cove Beach last week and it was full of seaweed, and so rocky! I went because reviews said the sand was soft, but it wasn't at all, I couldn't walk along the water at all, and my 5yo got a long cut on the bottom of his foot. We had a great time at Corporation Beach in Dennis, though.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaweedy beaches

Chatham now does have a seaweed rake but that's only for the sand and not any that's floating in the water...not sure which beaches are cleaned by it but suspect it's Harding's and Ridgevale only as Cockle Cove has been eroded so much that it's hard to access...and south facing beaches get the most seaweed...bay and ocean don't because of location.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: seaweedy beaches

Head to the Bayside beaches in Nantucket Sound beaches are full of seaweed.

4. Re: seaweedy beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 15:18
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seaweedy beaches

I've noticed that certain beaches seem to have a chronic seaweed problem. Of course all the beaches get seaweed from time to time due to storms. But the good news is that there are so many beaches from which to choose that you have many other options.

If you want to stay in Chatham however then your best option may be South Beach by the Lighthouse. Park your car at Eldredge on Main St. and take the shuttle to this beach. Plan for no facilities though and pack a lunch.

South Chatham, MA
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seaweedy beaches

Well, there are about 3 porta-potties up by the stairs from Lighthouse Beach parking lot but that's quite a hike from South Beach...so there are limited facilities there.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seaweedy beaches

Whoops, sorry. I need to retract my suggestion of Lighthouse Beach for now unless you plan to stay out of the water. Shark sightings in the area mean no swimming at Lighthouse Beach. But still there are plenty of other Cape towns with beautiful beaches to enjoy this summer.

8. Re: seaweedy beaches

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edited: 29 November 2010, 15:18
9. Re: seaweedy beaches

10. Re: seaweedy beaches

Get answers to your questions about Chatham