We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kellanderson et al-how about Old Harbor Inn?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
169 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
kellanderson et al-how about Old Harbor Inn?

Since Wequesset and Chatham Bars are way beyond our budget, what do you think about Old Harbor Motel on Old Harbor Rd? It's a B & B. Or any other Chatham suggestion for April? Hawthorne isn't opened.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kellanderson et al-how about Old Harbor Inn?

Hi, chippie

Here are 2 other possibilities for you: the Bradford Inn, on a side street just off Main Street in "downtown" Chatham (behind the Methodist Church), and its sister, the Wayside Inn which is a bit further down Main Street -- next to the bandstand park, which means it's even closer to the Chatham Candy Manor (great fudge!), the Chatham Squire (great for a pub supper or casual drinks), Yankee Ingenuity (a fun store with lots of interesting, reasonably-priced wares, good for gifts) & the Impudent Oyster (highly recommend for lunch).

Both appear to be offering some nice package deals until the end of April... so it may cost you less than the Old Harbor Inn which isn't right in the shopping area (but still not inconvenient by any means):

http://www.bradfordinn.com

http://www.waysideinn.com

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
169 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kellanderson et al-how about Old Harbor Inn?

Thanks, CockleCove. For the same price as your recommendations, I chose the Cranberry Inn, which adds full breakfast and an upgrade special deal to their package. The location is as you suggested. I'll definitely take up all your other recommendations for food and fun. Ever been to the Cranberry?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kellanderson et al-how about Old Harbor Inn?

My Chatham getaway, chippie, are spent in the same house I've rented for the past 20 years... the last time I stayed at the Cranberry Inn was when I was a kid, 40 years ago, so I dare say the rooms have been updated since then :-)

Here are some other suggestions for you:

* Head off to the Chatham airport for an aerial tour of the Cape (1-3 people fly for the same price, which is very reasonable for this kind of thing). Even though you're going next month when the town is less busy than the summer season, do call ahead to make sure that they're not already booked at the time you'd like to do this. If you weren't already being fed by the Cranberry Inn, I'd suggest having breakfast at the little Cloud 9 Cafe there (inexpensive & it's fun to watch the private planes take off & land).

http://www.chathamairport.com

* Give the Chamber of Commerce a call (their information booth on Main Street probably won't be staffed in April) to ask when the local commercial fishing boats will be starting to come in to the Fish Pier; it's typically around noontime, but can vary depending on the tides. Then go to the Fish Pier's observation deck to watch the catch being unloaded; it's really more intriguing than you might think.

* There are soooo many delightful shops, I'll leave it to you to decide which ones are your favorites. Do stop by Forest Beach jewelers; Barb & Steve are wonderful goldsmith, but they craft a variey of Chatham & Cape Cod charms in silver too which make a wonderful souvenir of your visit. And the two book stores -- the Yellow Umbrella (small, but has a nice selection of books of local interest & ones autographed by authors who live full or part-time in the area; sells 2nd-hand books too) & and the more expansive Cabbages & Kings -- are well worth a visit.

* At night, make your way down to the Lighthouse beach to watch the Chatham Light thrown its fingers across the water... depending on whom you're with, it's either romantic or simply nice ;-)

* Make sure to pay at least 1 visit to Marion's Pie Shop on Rte. 28, beyond (if you're coming from town) the turn-off for the airport; a fabulous selection of toothsome goodies... and not just sweet baked goods, although the pies may be the best you've ever had.

* Consider making a sidetrip to the Cape Cod Natural History Museum in Brewster (very well done).

HAVE FUN

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
169 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kellanderson et al-how about Old Harbor Inn?

CockleCove, Forty years ago, eh? We last stayed in Chatham 24 years ago before the birth of my first. Then we moved on to Truro, N Truro, and now P-Town, where we go most every summer. Not this year-going to Yellowstone with our now grown girls. Anyhow, I'm going to add one thing to your excellent recs. Ever been to the Edgar Gorey Museum? We like his art/illustrations so much, it should be a treat-and opens the week we go down. Regarding the Cranberry-I hope it isn't too "stuffy" too "careful", too "delicate." Well-it's a done-deal now. Thanks again.

capecod
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kellanderson et al-how about Old Harbor Inn?

you could also look into the highlander. oh just thought of something, the chatham seafarer. a great little motel- inn. very clean and close to the chatham beaches. its also right across from the marion's pie shop. not to hard to take.