We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

Which Chatham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Fairfield, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

We'll be traveling on a Saturday in July for our first Cape Cod trip. I've read about the horrible traffic and would like to do everything possible to avoid it. We're willing to leave home super early (6-7 am), if that would help.

Google Maps gave me 3 possible options:

- I-85, then I-95 to Providence, then 195

- I-84, then 90, then 495

- I-84, then 395 to Providence, then 195

I have no idea which one of these is the best or if there's a better alternative available. I don't know which of these expressways (besides I-84) is the least congested.

Also what are best and worst times to travel to and arrive at Cape Cod on a summer Saturday?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

Whichever route you take everyone ends up having to go over one of the bridges. That is probably where the real slowdown occurs. Get to the bridges as early as possible.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

Quickest way? Leave late like September. Otherwise just a guess.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

From Connecticut to the bridges ... you might get better response if you post on the Connecticut Forum.

The rest of the trip ... you don't have many options. Saturday is "change over day", people check out of their weekly rentals and leave the Cape and others check-in. My personal experience has been that the backups going TO the Cape on Saturday are worst between 10 and 2,

I like to get over the bridge early. Then even though I can't check in ... I can stop someplace for lunch, and just before check-in, I can buy whatever perishables I need for dinner that night.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

I second arriving as early as possible on the Cape -

we are 30 minutes from Danbury and go 84-90-495-- we definitely would not go on I95- our route may be a bit longer mileage-wise, but years ago we had bad experiences with heavy traffic on I95--don't know how early you would have to leave home to avoid beach traffic on I95 along the Connecticut shore from both daytrippers & people heading to those shore destinations

leaving early, we have no problems with any of the roads (84-90-495) ; we generally have some back up at the bridges but not longer than 20-30 min provided we hit the bridge around 10 am--

I know some folks from Connecticut take 84 on their way to the Cape but not all the way up to 90--there may be other options besides 84-395-195 so the Connecticut forum would be a good place to post and also the Rhode Island forums-both to explore other options and to give you an idea of what traffic might be like on either 395 or 195 going through or around Providence on a Saturday morning in the summer

but I can definitely recommend 84-90-495!

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
127 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

I hope this helps, I have driven Danbury to the Cape countless times and time wise there is not much of a difference between the two routes.

The key is leaving early, 6 am will get you to the bridge around 9:30

If you go 84-90-495, the only major traffic problem will be the exit for 495 on the Masss Pike. This exit tends to back up before the toll booths. I have seen it up to a mile before the exit. But once you get through, its clear sailing to the Bridges.

If you go the southern route, take 25 south from Newtown, to the Merritt Parkway, take the Merritt towards Milford and then take the Milford Connector to 95. Milford through New Haven is usually the worst problems for traffic.

Either way you take, when you get a half an hr away, turn on WBZ 1030 out of Boston, they do traffic every ten minutes and include the bridges on the Cape. If there is traffic problems take the Bourne and then go the road along the canal. I usually will take 6a if 6 is backed up

New Fairfield, CT
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

Thank you for all the replies! I haven't been back to the forum in a couple of days. All of your suggestions are very helpfu, and my gut feeling also told me to avoid I-95. We've had some pretty bad traffic just trying to get to Mystic! I'll follow your advice and ask the same question on the CT & RI forums, as well.

Thanks a lot!

7. Re: Quickest drive from Danbury, CT to South Chatham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Chatham