We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chatham in September

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Chatham in September

My husband and I are staying at Chatham bars inn this September for our 1 year anniversary. Looking for information on Chatham in Sept...how is the weather..is it warm enough to swim and what are some things to do?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chatham in September

If you click on the green bar at the top of this page you will find lots of information.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,844 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chatham in September

September usually has some of the warmest water temps of the year but a good ocean-churning storm can change all that. Most New Englanders would swim in Sept. air temps are usually warmer earlier in the month but hot days can happen late in the month too

. My kids swim on the Cape (bay side) in May but that's too cold for me. Only you can decide if it is swimable for you.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 02:13
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chatham in September

That's a great place to stay for an anniversary,, and btw congrats!

In September, I still go for swims in the nantucket sound, on warm days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chatham in September

It really depends on what part of September you're coming. Early September is still summer-like and great for swimming , but after the second or third week it gets a bit too chilly for me to swim. By the end of the month, the days are mild (usually 60's or 70's) and the nights are cool. September is (I think) the best month of the year on Cape Cod.

The Chatham Chamber of Commerce has an event calendar for the month of September

www.chathaminfo.com/events?month=9&year=2013

Some things to do are:

--Rent bikes and ride the scenic route of the "Tour de Chatham"

http://www.tourdechatham.com/route-maps.htm

--Visit the Monomoy Wildlife Sanctuary

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/monomoy/

--Visit the seals at the Fish Pier

--Shop on Main Street

--Tour the Chatham Lighthouse (Wednesday afternoons)

--Take a long walk on Lighthouse Beach

If you're coming the week of Sept 14-15 Orleans will be hosting their "Celebrate our Waters" weekend with many many events including a bonfire at Nauset Beach. We went last year and it was the highlight of our summer.

Enjoy your visit!

Boston...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chatham in September

September is a great month to be in Chatham. Water is at its peak early and then warm enough for the rest of the month barring a sequence of line storms. Just don't swim around the seals!!

Go hang out at the Squire and have a beer. Same with the Red Nun if you want more of the local "flare" lol. Walk South Beach, kayak Pleasant Bay, explore all the town landings, go shopping downtown...you should have plenty to do!

Edited: 25 June 2013, 17:34
6. Re: Chatham in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Chatham