We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental in Chilmark

new hampshire
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
rental in Chilmark

I'm planning on renting a place in Chilmark around July 4th for 2 weeks.

I amazed that I can find one at this late date and wonder why this house is available...is this an undesirable time to be there...are there

green flies or red tide or some thing like that. Also what can I expect,

never have been to Vineyard. We would like to spend some time on beach but more interested in exploring whole island. Are the beaches in Chilmark nice? Is traffic a problem and also is it a dry town.

What could we expect for July 4th. Thanks

Chilmark Chocolates
Gift & Speciality Shops
Menemsha Hills
Beaches, Nature & Wildlife Areas
The Yard
Lessons & Workshops, Educational sites, Performances
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental in Chilmark

I recently snagged a house in Katama for the week of July 10. There wasn't much left that wasn't in bad need of renovation. Depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
942 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental in Chilmark

I have owned a rental house here on the island for 12 years. Historically, I can rent out August without missing a week, but during the month of July, I always have a week or two open. If the house you found is open and it looks good, I wouldn't read too much into it. July just isn't as popular for house rentals as August and you're bound to find a few open rental weeks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
142 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental in Chilmark

1. It's a fine time to be there, just a little more rain than August. No red tide. Some mosquitoes but that's about it.

2. Beaches are beautiful but there are only a few PUBLIC beaches. Check with the people who are renting the house. Ask what kind of beach access will you have.

3. Traffic is normally only a problem in downtown areas (Vineyard Haven, Oak Bluffs, Edgartown).

4. Chilmark is dry. Bars are only in Oak Bluffs and Edgartown, and now in Vineyard Haven as well.

5. There's lots of fun stuff going on July 4th. Parades, fireworks, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Edgartown
Edgartown
Martha's Vineyard, MA
4. Re: rental in Chilmark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Chilmark