We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reunion/wedding trip rental

Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
reunion/wedding trip rental

My son is getting married July 27th in Cohassette in 2013 I have a large family coming into town for a mini reunion We need a place large enough for approx 30 people to stay. There is the possibility of hosting the wedding party for a lobsterbake on the 26th. I am also from out of town and wonder if there is such a place available? Its tough to because a lot of rentals Ive seen are Sat to Sat.Any ideas?

9 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

Well, first I think you should contact a local realtor who may be able to steer you to just what you are looking for. It would seem that a property that sleeps 30 would probably have a rental agent. You might also broaden your search to include nearby towns such as Scituate & Hingham. Also, have you checked with the bride or her family for help?

Edited: 22 October 2012, 01:45
Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

Thanks, I have been thinking that a realtor may be the way to go. I have been searching online all along the coast and cant seem to find anything that isnt already booked.Was just wondering if there was anything Im missing or that I can do to find something.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

A friend of mine rented a home for her daughter's wedding using VRBO, Vacation Rental by owner. Although the rental stated Sat through Sat, she contacted the owner and negotiated Wednesday through Wednesday. She also had a clam bake and hosted the brunch after the wedding. Unfortunately, this home was in Kennebuckport, ME nowhere near Cohasset but you never know what might pop up.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,959 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

IMHO when you rent from an individual you open yourself to all sorts of surprises which might become quite problematic during such an important event as a wedding when you might not have sufficient time to deal with anything extra. At a minimum suggest that you at least tour the house before deciding and not just look at online photos, and maybe even go back a few days prior to your guest's arrival to see that all is in order. Using a reputable realtor should give you better peace of mind and probably better options since many who list with realtors do not list direct. I hope everything goes smoothly with your plans.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

What about hotels? There's the Cohasset harbor inn and the Nantasket Beach resort (Hull).

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

It's really unlikely that you will find a place that sleeps 30 people -- that's a small hotel, not a house. You will not find anything like that in Cohasset or Hingham. You may (may) have some luck in Scituate which does have vacation rentals. Do keep in mind however, that when you ask for a stay other than the standard Saturday to Saturday stay, it means the owner needs to fill in partial nights on both sides of your stay. There's a strong chance they'll not fill those odd nights surrounding your stay.

I'd look in to hotels if you want to close to Cohasset.

Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

Thanks for the input Im thinking about all options here. Never thought about having issues when renting through these sites--have rented here in NY through homeaway with great results. I may have to make a trip and go looking!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

It sounds like you'll just want lodging for a few days, not a whole week. That could be difficult for any vacation rental, especially during peak summer tourism.

Staying at a regular hotel could be fine. You'll get to meet up and spend plenty of time together but will also be able to have a little independent time and privacy. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41511-d271629-… seems like it could be a good choice. They could probably also provide you with a venue for the lobster bake.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 20:14
Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: reunion/wedding trip rental

Thanks for the info. Funny thing is the wedding is at the link you gave me. Was hoping to avoid hotels, stay at a more casual place for all, I guess Ill have to try some realtors.

Reply to: reunion/wedding trip rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cohasset