We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calm beaches on the cape?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
calm beaches on the cape?

We want to head down to the cape for a few days. We are looking for an oceanfront hotel/motel. We have 2 kids. We are just burnt out from packing the car, etc. to get to the beach so we want to stay at a place we can walk to the beach, steps away! Someone mentioned nice beaches in the northern part of Dennis on another thread and I wondered what those beaches were? We have a 10 year old and a 6 year old and ideally the beach would't have rough waves so that I could actually relax and not have to be in the water with them the whole time! We usually head to Provincetown but this really we're looking to shorten our drive and not past the single lane part of Route 6. Any suggestions?

NJ
Level Contributor
141 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: calm beaches on the cape?

The Cape Cod Bay beaches are the best! (Don't tell anyone else.)

THere are not many waterfront hotels on the Bay. It is more residential.

The water is calm, the tide change is amazing to watch.

If you travel along 6A (the prettier road that runs parallel but north of 6), you can turn off anyplace you see a beach sign. In Dennis, Mayflower and Chapin are 2 nice ones. Some of the kettle ponds have beaches too. THe ponds are not weed filled or muddy like you traditionally think of a pond. THey are clear and cool and very enjoyable.

…dennis.ma.us/Pages/DennisMA_Beach/beachregs…

Sandy Neck Beach is in Barnstable and it is also a beautiful Bay beach.

…barnstable.ma.us/SandyNeckPark/Default.aspx

I have never stayed in any hotels along 6A, but you can try Sandy Neck Motel for no frills or Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster for luxuries.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,566 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: calm beaches on the cape?

The beaches of Dennisport and Yarmouth on Nantucket Sound are beautiful and there are hotels/motels that are right ON the beach. Just take exit 9A and head straight south to the beach. In Yarmouth look for ones on South Shore Dr (not Rt 28) and in Dennisport ones on Old Wharf like Colony Beach and on Chase and Depot like Three Seasons. These will have pools too.

The motels in north Dennis are, with just two exceptions that I can think of, not located ON the beach. These are the Bay beaches and they are lovely too.

In case you end up locating off the beach in Dennis I'll mention that there is a 'drive in' beach on Nantucket Sound (West Dennis Beach) which has a snack shop etc. where you nearly park your car on the sand.

3. Re: calm beaches on the cape?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2013, 10:15