We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Which Dennis Port hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Hi all-

A large group of us will be in Dennis Port for a wedding at the Cross Rip over Columbus Day weekend. I'm trying to compile a list of options for dinner Friday and Sunday night, as well as some breakfast and lunch options while we are there. I've seen a bunch of recommendations on the forum but I'm not sure if all the restaurants will still be open or have limited hours since it's the off season. Can anyone provide suggestions for places that could accommodate groups of 15 to 20, are open that weekend, and are relatively casual and informal? We might do one nicer dinner while we're there (other than the wedding, of course!), so I would love some recommendations for that as well. Thanks!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,930 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Which restaurants are you currently considering? Of course the Ocean House is terrific and you can walk to it.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,930 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Forgot to mention that in fall you can expect the Ocean House to have a prix fixe menu by the time you arrive. Basically it sets you up to get dessert free. If you need to cut costs you can even order their gourmet pizzas and perhaps salad. Take a look at their menu for more illumination.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Also for dinner is The Oyster Company and LaScala. Oyster company serves up delicious food. It's menu is predictably seafood heavy, but there are pasta, steak and chicken options as well. Kiddies menu too.

LaScala serves up some pretty tasty Italian food. I'm pretty sure there's akids menu too. Easier on the wallet compared to The Oyster Company.

Egg & I on Main Street serves up a fantastic breakfast. Buffet or eat off the menu.

Be sure to call well ahead if you plan to eat at the two dinner spots I mentioned. They like ample notice for large groups, but will gladly accomodate you.

http://theoystercompany.com/

http://lascalaoncapecod.com/

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Scargo Cafe would be a good choice. The food is great, and they have private dining rooms for groups. (Nice ambience, too!)

http://www.scargocafe.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Hey Will

We have seen the LaScala in D-port for years but have failed to make the attempt to go - I really dont know why??

Are your comments based on a recent visit? Just curious. Any other posters been there lately. How was the food, menu, and service

We might just give it a shot next trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Several of us ate there back in either 2006 or 2007. It was awhile ago, but it appears the mostly "acceptable" reviews have held pretty steady to date.

It's kinda strange in that it feels like you're arriving at someone's house for dinner, and in reality, that is what it is- a house that has been converted into a restaurant.

It's an option if you're in Dennis Port, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. Good portions, but not high end quality food by any means. I'd rate my visit a 3/5 stars.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 20:51
Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Will, how is the interior at La Scala? When they first opened it was dirty..the walls, the waitstaff..I second Ocean House. Wow...3 courses for 26.00 is the best deal on the Cape. It's on the ocean and has valet and is just about perfect.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 23:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

It wasn't anything great to be honest. It definitely didn't present itself as a fine dining restaurant, but I don't recall it being dirty. The decor, to me, was more like a "mom and pop" family restaurant type of place. I think they had it set up in a "half and half" where the bar area took up one side of the place and the dining area was on the other?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,930 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

We went there with Cape neighbors I think the second year after it changed from Captain Williams. We thought the food to be the usual (though Italian) solid Cape type meals, nothing too fancy or inspired but prepared well enough and served hot....good for families, kids, picky eaters who want to see the usual...not a place for CaribChakita...LOL.

What especially kept us from giving it a second try the following year was the fact that the waitress spilled an entire glass of wine on me and was super casual about it. She didn't even apologise. Our Cape neighbors recognized the owner watching the situation and how it was handled. He did not intervene, apologize or make any offer of assistance beyond the laundry wipe that his waitress offered me. Of course I did not make a scene, just a mental note to never return. Now, this type of incident will not happen to other diners so you just have to rate the food and other's comments. They have been there several years now so they must be doing something right.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,930 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants for a group over Columbus Day Weekend

Will, you are right about the set up inside LaScala. You enter and immediately find the smaller dining room but, go around the corner to your right, you'll find a longer/larger room which has the bar. There's more windows and light in this room. However the 'front' room might work for the OP's party if she wants to choose this restaurant for some reason, I can't imagine why with Ocean House and the other good options in Dennisport.

Get answers to your questions about Dennis Port