We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

Which Eastham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
14 posts
Save Topic
Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

Hi! My husband and I will be spending 7 days in Falmouth next week. We are looking for very quiet beaches (I understand that this might only be for private permit holders but wanted to ask anyway).. Also is $130 (for 2, high speed ferry) worth it for a day trip to Nantucket. Been to MV before.

Thank you,

S

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

IMO if you have never been to Nantucket then yes it is worth it. Nantucket is very beautiful with it's own New England charm. It's much smaller than MV so getting around isn't to much of a problem. I took the fast ferry over in April and it was most enjoyable. Only a one hour boat trip. Worth every penny compared to the slow boat at just over two hours. Have fun and enjoy the island.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

Hi there- I am glad to hear that you are visiting Falmouth for a week. There are so many things to do here. Tell me about yourselves and I will try to give you some ideas.

Re: secluded beaches...the one that comes to mind is at the "Knob" in Quisett which is part of Woods Hole. Go to Quisett Harbor and drove around it and park where there are spaces. Walk along the path to the right side. You will see a lovely beach there where folks tend to skinny dip and sun bath.

NY
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

hi, thank you for the responses. we will definitely consider nantucket..

I hope I was'nt misleading when I asked for secluded beaches(not for skinny dipping :))..We just want quiet. But I will check out that beach you mentioned.

we spent 2 weeks in woods hole 2 years ago for a course at MBL and fell in love with the "only in america" postcard perfect beauty. we went to nobska beach after we were told by a resident in the area that it was ok(even though it is private), but a classmate was asked to leave another time. then we hung out at the MBL beach (which can get crowded). one memorable night a bunch of students were guided to a "secret" beach which was also private and had these shiny things in the water and we got to see shooting stars.. So we are trying to do similar things but do not want to intrude on private beaches..

thank you for all the help.. on a seperate note, can you suggest fish markets(is there such a thing as buying straight from the fishermen at the pier or am i being delusional?).

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

Uhmmm, a good fish market is called the "Clam Man". It's off of Gifford Street near Main Street. There aren't many fishing boats aroundthese days, and although it sounds nostalgic to buy fresh off the boat, I've never heard of doing that.

I think you will like the beach at the Knob. Day or night.

NY
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

Thank you mainstreetman,

We will probably check it out tomorrow..Any other suggestions?

S

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

You may like to take a short walk through Spohr's Garden. It is located on Fells Pond Rd. Take a left turn at the Quisett lights (if you are coming from Falmouth)and you will come to the Fells Road. Drive down the road and you will come to the public garden.

Afterwards drive along the beach and you will see some cars parked along the road. There is a nice beach there as well where the bike path crosses Surf Drive. (There is a secluded parking lot 1/4 mile down the road towards Woods Hole. Look for a dirt road entrance. There is no sign.) But you can park there for free.

I think that you would enjoy a sail on the Liberte'- a 3 masted schonnr out of Fal. Harbor with Cap't Chris at the wheel. http://www.theliberte.com/ The cost is $30/pp. Check then out at the mouth of the harbor where the Clan Shack is. You can enjoy the seafood there right at the dock as well, but beware it is very pricey. The Boat House down the street has Lobster dinners for 11.95 if you are into that crustation, or you can relax on the deck of the Flying Bridge and enjoy at first rate meal in a classier setting.

By the way- if you are strolling Main Street(farmer's market on Thursday is way cool) be sure to stop at my wife's boutique called Bojangles.

JIm

NY
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

will report back tonite.. we're gonna check all this out...

Thanks,

S

NY
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

Hi, mainstreetman,

The knob was phenomenal.. Very beautiful..We're definitely going back. we also checked out the drive along surf ride and have noted the free parking spots(a few?). We also spotted bojangles as we are driving by. Will stop by later this week.

Also stopping by Clam Man later today.

Thanks for your suggestions,

S

9. Re: Deserted beaches - Cape Cod and is Nantucket worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 08:40