We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paved roads for biking

Which Eastham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South America
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Paved roads for biking

rank for road biking on 1) Cape 2) MV 3) Nantucket. Will bring my own bike via ferry to MV and/or Nantucket. I usually cycle approx 30-50 miles per day. Which places are considered best for road biking? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Planning to go based on weather in the next 4 weeks staying 5 days only. Thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paved roads for biking

People bike rte 6 and 6A all the time, but it looks scary to me!! The roads through the "Provincelands" portion of the national seashore are also frequented by cyclists. All of the National Seashore bike "paths" are paved.

South America
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paved roads for biking

Thanks

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paved roads for biking

You can cycle from Eastham to Wellfleet on the paved "Rail Trail" bike path and then take roads to Provincetown and back. There is a loop off the the Rail Trail that will take you to Coast Guard Beach and then you can bike up the coast to Nauset Light Beach, head west across Rt 6 to pick up the Rail Trail again and make your way up to Provincetown. Provincelands loop has some hills but most of the other trails are fairly flat.

There is another section of the Rail Trail that will take you from Eastham to Dennis with loops that go through Nickerson State Park with some hills and a loop through Chatham with shopping.

Take a look at capecodbiketrails.com/Bike%20Trail%20Maps.htm for more specific information.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paved roads for biking

Here is my tr from this summer which includes bike rides on Cap, MV and ACK. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k3845…

Nantucket was least favorite - reason most biking but fewest views. The ride along coast from Santaky light to sconset was nice. There are many other rides but I have not taken them. This ride was 20+ miles rt.

MV and Cape were best riding from a scenic POV. I road along 28 from Chatham to Eastham and would jump on RT back to where we were staying. If you are experienced road biker (and seems you are), then well worth the ride as it will allow you to do a circuit vs a linear ride. Lots of little roads that you should explore along shore road in Chatham for some great views. The ride into rock harbor and the trail spur there is nice. I also rode into Wequesset Inn and there is an ocean view walk which I trespassed on (without anyone saying anything- had expensive bike shirt on so must of thought I belonged).

Year before, I stayed in Dennis and would bike the entire RT either to Orleans or take the Chatham spur and bike along water to the chatham pier. bottom line, greatly encourage you to look at some maps and chart a couple of routes for your self. Lots of great places to explore on bike like Wellfleet and truro.

Prev poster talked about MV biking and I concur. Although if the point is long ride then can make the ride to Aquinnah. Maybe bike there and take bus back which I believe is possible but you should check that in advance. Good Luck.

5. Re: Paved roads for biking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2011, 05:18