We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Which Eastham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Hi there. We will be staying in Eastham for 3 nights at the end of Sept/beginning Oct after 10 days visiting Boston, NYC, etc. We'll be there for 3 1/2 - 4 days depending on what time we arrive (driving from Newport RI). We have chosen Cape Cod as an antidote to visiting cities and have booked self-catering accommodation in Eastham.

I am keen to hire a bike and use the old railroad cycle path while we are there, but wondered what else you would recommend to first time visitors? We plan to bring walking boots and get out and about a bit.

Although we will have a hire car, I've read that there are fees to park at beaches on Cape Cod and a permit may be required so information on this would be useful. I imagine from looking at maps that we can walk to a lot of places anyway??

Also, if we get inclement weather some suggestions on rainy day activities would be appreciated. We are not wedded to staying around the outer Cape btw, just thought it would be less busy/crowded.

Many thanks in advance.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

I suggest you read through the Top Questions to the right. There is a wealth of information about Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro and Provincetlown in past posts as well.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,280 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

In the Top Questions section there is one subject about rainy day activities that you can read.

The town beaches like Nauset in East Orleans and Cahoon Hollow do not charge a parking fee after Labor Day which is Sept. 5 this year. IF the National Seashore beaches like Coast Guard which you want to visit, charges then it will just be on the weekends. At the end of Sept. you can still enjoy a beachside lunch at Nauset Beach at the beach shack that is Liam's. The Beachcomber at Cahoon Hollow will be closed by then but walking the beach below the dune there will reveal some dramatic scenery. There is one beautiful beach in Chatham that is a must visit spot below the Lighthouse. Also, once a week (on Wed I think) the lighthouse is open in the later afternoon for free visits and the view is gorgeous from the top. If you are there in the afternoon then you can also go over to the Fish Pier and you may get to see the fishermen unload their commercial catches. You'll perhaps a dozen seals swimming around close by too. If you like to shop then spend some time going up and down Main St. with it's upscale shops, boutiques, and galleries (restaurants too). Be sure to drop in at Yankee Ingenuity for a bit.

There's much to do so it is good that you are limiting yourselves to one portion of the Cape.

Where in Eastham are you staying? Near by is the Fort Hill area with it's beautiful view out over Nauset marsh and some easy trails that you can enjoy. Have fun.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Thank you both. I've done a lot of online research for the Cape Cod and other parts of our trip and there's a lot to take in - I missed the rainy day activities section on here for one! After visiting 4 cities and Newport we'll be looking forward to a gentler pace so would rather stay close to our accommodation and the Eastham area. We're staying at Cottage Grove CapeCodCharlie. Another antidote - this time to big city hotels!

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Hi Grecofan! My husband and I always stay in Orleans or Eastham, and we really enjoy walking trails from Eastham up to Provincetown. Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is one of our top favorite areas to walk because of the well-kept trails and the great variety of natural areas within the sanctuary. It's the only place with trails where there's an admission fee, but it's well worth the cost. Here's a link where you can learn more about it: massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/…index.php

Here's a site that has information about a number of trails we especially enjoy: nps.gov/caco/…guide-to-trails.htm Please click on the links under "Virtual Introductions" to get a good idea of the trails. Our favorites are Fort Hill/Red Maple Swamp Trails, Nauset Marsh Trail, Atlantic White Cedar Swamp Trail, Small's Swamp/Pilgrim Spring trails, and Beech Forest Trail.

If you have binoculars, it'd be a good idea to bring them since they're useful to scan the ocean for seals when beach-walking and for seeing beautiful vistas and birds more close-up while walking the trails. Also, before heading off on the beautiful Nauset Marsh Trail, make sure to stop in at the Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham to watch short films about the Cape, to walk through the wonderful small museum there (free of charge) and to browse the gift shop (nice bathrooms there, too!) nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

In Brewster, just west of Orleans, is the John Wing Trail and the South Trail, as well as The Cape Cod Museum of Natural History-- good for a rainy day activity. Here's their site: www.ccmnh.org/index.php… Also in Brewster is a general store called "The Brewster Store" that's fun for browsing-- full of household goods, gift items, "penny" candy, and a Nickelodeon (costs a quarter nowadays), coffee, baked goods, and a variety of local and national newspapers. http://www.brewsterstore.com/ For another rainy day activity we recently discovered, you might enjoy browsing "Snow's Home & Garden" in Orleans http://www.snowshomeandgarden.com/ for a great variety of household items and gifts.

Our favorite bay-side beaches are in Orleans: Skaket and Rock Harbor. Skaket is best for walking at low tide (for low tide times, check local newspapers or look online for a tide chart) and Rock Harbor is fun to watch charter fishing boats come in when the tide is closer to being high. Both are great for watching sunsets. We also recently discovered First Encounter Beach in Eastham that's lovely and fun to walk at low tide. If the weather and water is too cool when you visit, you can still walk the flats if you have waterproof boots. All National Seashore and Bay beaches are free after Labor Day.

On the way in, after crossing the Sagamore Bridge, please consider stopping in at the beautiful and historic town of Sandwich and walk the Sandwich boardwalk. Here's a Fodor's review of it and it also has directions: fodors.com/world/…review-183870.html Also, if you Google "Sandwich Boardwalk", you'll see many images of it and it shows why it's one of our favorite places to visit while on the Cape.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
458 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

I tried editing some of my links that weren't hyperlinked, but my time ran out. Here's the direct link to Wellfleet Bay wildlife Sanctuary: massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/…index.php and to the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History: http://www.ccmnh.org/ and info on the trails there: www.ccmnh.org/index.php…

Here's the link to the Trail Guide: nps.gov/caco/…guide-to-trails.htm and please click on the trails listed under "Virtual Introductions".

Brewster Store's website is under construction, but the store is located on beautiful route 6A: 1935 Main Street, Brewster. Driving west from Orleans, look for Breakwater Road on your right, and the Brewster Store will appear soon after that on your right, just before the junction of Route 124.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Many thanks Lorna - thank you for all the info and the links. Much appreciated.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

For biking definitely do the National SeaShore:

capecodbiketrails.com/…20pics.htm

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Of course on a rainy day go to Provincetown and walk around which is a must do. Also I think Race Point beach is stunning. While in Eastham bikes get you on beach free but I believe you're going after Labor Day. Also an afternoon in Wellfleet is nice as is drinks late afternoon at the Beachcomber, a classic Cape institution with an amazing location.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,733 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Art's Dune Tours out of Provincetown are great.

You can also catch a whalewatch if you are so inclined.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,733 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you enjoy on the Outer Cape that you would recommend

Forgot to say ... Wellfleet Drive-In !!! My favorite part is the old advertisements they show at Intermission.