We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turnip

Which Eastham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,733 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Turnip

I must confess, I have lived in Massachusetts all my life. I never heard of Eastham Turnips until I read about them in a food article a year or two ago.

Last week I was on the Cape. I saw the signs for the Turnip Festival. Then I saw roadside stasnds selling them and I stopped and got some. They will be on my Thanksgiving table today. I cooked them last night and took a taste ... seems like a mild rutabaga/yellow turnip flavor. To me anyway, that's a good thing. ;)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all !!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turnip

Happy Thanksgiving!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turnip

Remember, yellowbird told us about the Turnip Festival a while ago? ;-)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k5814…

Hope you enjoy your turnips and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turnip

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Forgotmypassword, the famous Eastham turnip is a sweet, mild white turnip. We like it simply mashed with garden carrots, butter, salt and pepper. Mine are steaming as I write! Enjoy!

Edited: 22 November 2012, 15:03
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turnip

Art Nickerson, the last known grower of turnips in Eastham died in October. He was known as "Art Nick, The Turnip Man." He also founded Nickerson's Service Center on Route 6 in North Eastham just above Old Country Road.

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turnip

Enjoy your Eastham turnips, forgotmypword and yellowbird!

Our family will be enjoying a local fave, too. My cranberry sauce, made with berries from a nearby bog, is chillin' in the fridge. And the cranberry bread is in the oven, smellin' yummy. Aaaaaah, the tastes of Cape Cod. Gotta love it!!

My best to everyone for a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited: 22 November 2012, 15:58
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turnip

I grew up on the Cape my entire life....never heard of them until my sister, from Wellfleet, brought them to my house last year.....who knew...? (well obviously a lot of people) Very tasty....

7. Re: Turnip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 19:15