We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

Canandaigua, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

Hi,

We are planning a day trip to Edgartown in the 2nd week of July. Two adults, two teens (possibly 3). We are staying in Dennisport and have a vehicle.

Questions:

1. Do we require a vehicle to visit Edgartown?

2. Since we can drive to a Ferry, which one is the best choice economically in light of the question above?

3. What should we absolutely do in Edgartown?

Thank you SO much for advice!

Chris Moore

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

I assume that you want to take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard and visit Edgartown while you are there. The nearest ferry is in Hyannis. You don't need a car, you can take a bus or taxi to Edgartown from the ferry dock on MV. The reason I ask is because I believe that there is a seasonal ferry from the Falmouth area which goes straight to Edgartown. I'll look up the website and get back to you.

www.falmouthferry.com

Edited: 28 May 2011, 17:50
Mentioned in this post
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

There's a top question on the Cape Cod page that directly addresses this - here's a link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g185492-i369-k3695…

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

Hey folks isn't the cheapest ferry option the one from Wood's Hole? However you would really have to have more time than money to drive all that way. On shoulder season (so not as much traffic as high season when anything can happen) it takes us 20-30 minutes to drive from Dennisport to the ferry. Going to Island Queen at Falmouth harbor takes 65 minutes and Wood's Hole is beyond that. If you are going into Falmouth then just arrive early enough to have breakfast there. Then if you are delayed you can still expect to be on MV within 35 minutes and you can have breakfast there.

I'm curious, where are you staying in Dennisport? There are lots of cottage, summer home, motel and even B&B options. Which one did you select? Have fun. Look up beside your screen name for some more info.

Canandaigua, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

Hi,

We are staying at Old Landing (per the great reviews on TripAdvisor!). Thanks for all the tips!

Chris

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

Well, have car, will travel. If you want to explore beyond Sea St. beach then, on the Nantucket Sound side check out South Village with Swan River on one end and the Lighthouse on the other. In fact you can walk along the beach to the Lighthouse inn and have burgers on their deck, rent one of their jet skis and buzz around a bit and walk back. South Village is porta potties only and no snack bar. Be sure not to miss visiting one of Dennis' bayside beaches. If you go early you can get in at Mayflower - a big favorite. There's a snack bar and real bathrooms and beautiful white sand. There is a big tidal fluctuation so do try to go when the tide is out or going out. I hope your motel will satisfy you. I know you'll have great fun on the Cape.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

not only don't you need a vehicle but you may not be able to get a reservation even if you did decide to take it.

Do you like to bike? It is a great bike ride from OB to Edgartown. It is 6.5 or 7.5 miles depending on which roads you take. That way you can go to the East Chop lighthouse and take a leisurely ride along the beach road.

7. Re: Advice needed for day trip to Edgartown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2012, 05:21