We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

Hi all you helpful people !

We are staying in Falmouth for 3 nights in September , and will probably go to Marthas vineyard for a day trip .

can you please tell me how to go about this , where do boats leave from and where will I find timetables etc ?

Also any reccomendations of what else to do in this area will be appreciated - We have 3 more nights somewhere else on the Cape , not yet decided !

Thanks !

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

www.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/

or

www.islandqueen.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

Spend your other 3 nights on the other end of the Cape. Towns like Chatham, Provincetown or any town in between will work. While all of Cape Cod has beautiful views and charm, this area is considered "quintessential" Cape Cod. Be sure to visit the National Seashore Beaches if you settle in the area.

Falmouth is a pretty lively town, so there will be plenty to keep you occupied there. Woods Hole is an enjoyable fishing and research village that is part of Falmouth. Be sure to stop here and enjoy the charm of the village and the beauty of Nobska Light.

The Shining Sea Bike Path leads from Falmouth into Woods Hole and is a nice, leisurely ride if you decide to rent bicycles.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

Many thanks - great advice as always!

Really like the idea of hiring bikes !

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

We live near Toronto and drive down to the Cape from time to time (bring our bikes with us).

I recommend going whale watching (day trips) at Provincetown. A beautiful old fishing village at the tip of the Cape with a very interesting, very flamboyant, gay community.

I would also recommend Chatham, and the National Sea Shore is very nice.

The south shore has access to the milder water of Natucket sound. The North shore is a little less touristy (Cape Cod Bay is quite cold).

If you like cycling you can rent bikes on Martha's Vineyard - a great wat to see the island. The ride from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown is very nice and not too intense (you might recognize the beach and tidal pond from the original Jaws movie - if you are a vintage to know the movie.

Have Fun

John

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

Yes Toronto johnny - I certainly remember Jaws - and I will definitely not be swimming on Marthas vineyard !!

That music is enough to send the shivers down my back !!

Gwent
Level Contributor
147 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

Went to MV from Falmouth yesterday 30th June used Island Queen $15 to park the car $18 each return into Oaks Bluff from there you can hire a car, bike , scooter you could hire a taxi or Island Queen runs a 2 1/2 hr tour with stop offs don't know how much this was. Took the local bus to Edgartown cost us $2 for single trip, only disappointment at the moment is the weather very foggy.Falmouth is a nice town to look around as well.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

Going to MV from Falmouth? Hands down, take the Island Queen. The only drawback with the Island Queen is that they shut down for the day pretty early in the evening. Be sure to check the return schedule!

Of course the Woods Hole Steamship Authority will get you there and back but with not nearly the convenience of the Queen.

8. Re: Falmouth to Marthas vineyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 05:16