We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

I know Late October/early November is NOT the BEST time to visit Cape Cod but my husband is doing the Cape Cod marathon on October 29th and since we have never visited that area, we thought we would take a week and explore!

We will be staying in Falmouth for the weekend for sure - that's where the marathon is based out of and my husband expects to want/need a day to prep and a day to recover without having to change hotels.

We plan on doing Martha's Vineyard for a day, which we can do from Falmouth as I understand it (but where do we have to go if we want to take our car over?).

At the end of the week, we plan to drive to Boston and spend one night there.

That leaves 3-4 nights in between. My question is: should we stay in Falmouth and travel daily from there to various destinations or should we find an alternate, more centralized/convenient location?

Also, what are the trop 3 MUST-DO things other than Martha's Vineyard and whale watching (weather permitting - I think I saw that their las ttrip is October 30th so we just might catch that!) in the area?

Any recommendation is appreciated!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

Hi, if you want to take your car over to the Vineyard you need to make reservations with the Steamship Authority. The ferry leaves out of Woods Hole, which is a village of Falmouth. There are good shops & restaurants in Falmouth.

You could spend a couple of days on the Lower Cape which has the beautiful beaches of the National Seashore -those towns are Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro & Provincetown. There's galleries, antique shops, the Cape Cod Rail Trail where you can bike, a winery in Truro, Wellfleet Harbor Actor's theater, etc.

(In Falmouth there is the Shining Sea Bike Trail, too)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

Have you previously done Boston?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

Thank you for the info so far!

No, we have not been to Boston before. I am sure we could fill a week or more just there but we fully expect to be back there in the future and do more of it. This would be just a little taste of Boston... Is that what you were getting at? That we would need more time?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

I'll second Kendrick's suggest to visit the National Seashore towns. Eastham is a convenient location to use as a base because you can easily go north to Wellfleet, and Provincetown, and south to Orleans (year 'round town) and Chatham. Eastham is 45 minutes from the bridge, 30 minutes from Hyannis and Provincetown. Since Rt. 6 goes up the middle of Eastham getting around is fairly easy.

Take a look at the top questions to the right of your post for more about each town. Here is a link to the National Seashore, with a lovely visitor's Center in Eastham. www.nps.gov/caco

Edited: 03 September 2011, 20:30
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those options!

Looking forward to it!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

At that time of year, I think most people would enjoy Boston more, particularly if they've never been. There is a lot to see, but you do have to start somewhere.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

hi julie

I live on Martha's Vineyard and recommend you stay 2 days here. The island is beautiful in the off season too.

Check out the Gingerbread Cottages in Oak Bluffs and stroll around beauftiful Edgartown..

If you need a place to stay you can contact me. I manage an Inn here.. we close Nov 1.

8. Re: Falmouth/Cape Cod - end of October, early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 17:17