We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear

Which Falmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
what to wear

Hi,

My husband and I are head to the cape mid May. We will be visiting all three areas of the cape and realize spring is a transition month. Any suggestions what to wear and what weather will be like for us?

Thanks

~Leah and Steve

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear

Take what you would if you went to a lake in Illinois at that time.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear

40's - 60's. Casual layers. Prepare for rain and/or the beach.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear

Yes, light layers so you'll be comfortable no matter the weather. T shirts, fleece jacket, jeans. I'd also bring capris, since we've already had a few unexpectedly warm days (70s, 80s). People are starting to wear sandals as well.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear

We live in Chicago and then sometimes on the Cape. I hope you get magnificent weather for your visit. it IS possible. But I would pack a 'what if' bag. Yes, layers as everyone mentions but also bring items that you would like if the weather pops up to 70 even 80 as it already has done in Chicago. What screwy weather huh? And it is not just here either. I was in Europe the first week in April and it went from 50s to 70s all in the same day(s). Hope it all works out for you.

If you think of it, please drop a note back on this forum with some comments (or even a full report) about how you found the Cape and the weather.

Have fun.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear

Hmmm, been living on Cape Cod for 25 years and there have not been 2 years alike! It is cool at the moment, in the low 50s but the sun is out so it is a glorious day! If it were 50s and raining the dampness would not be so much fun. So figure, worst case scenerio, in the high 40s low 50s and damp. Bring enough layers so you can be comfortable in the worst weather and just shed each layer as the temperature rises. To be comfortable you will need a light layer that will break the wind that inevitably blows on shore from the sea in the afternoon...even if the temperature mid-cape is 70 the outer beach can give you goose bumps. If you will be in Chatham, figure that you will be in fog in May.

Have i helped or just added to the confusion? At least our frame of reference for temperatures are aligned. When folks from the deep south ask the question you have asked about temperature it's a whole other answer! LOL

Just took the down comforters off the guest beds because we had warm nights, in the 60s. Then pulled them all back out because last night we expected a frost...go figure!

6. Re: what to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:41