We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falmouth in October

Which Falmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Falmouth in October

My husband and I will be visiting Cape Cod from October 1-4 on our way to Newport to visit our son at college. I am trying to decide the best area/town to stay at this time of year. Are most stores/restaurants opened at this time? I don't believe there any special events happening.

If the weather permits, I would like to get on a beach to read. My husband and I both enjoy outdoor activities, jogging, bike riding, site seeing, window shopping. We have been to Cape May twice a few years back and stayed in Dennis Port which was a great base point, but I think in off season, this may not be a good place to visit.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falmouth in October

Most stores and restaurants will still be open. On Labor Day Monday some places like fried clam joints and ice cream stands call it a day until next year, but it's not like it's just you and the crickets. October 1st, the days will be cooler and the nights probably chilly, but it's still a nice time to be on the Cape. If you want to go to the beach, just take your pick of which one you like. They will all be open with free parking. You'll probably see a few other people there, but not many.

If you're interested in a day-trip to Martha's Vineyard, Falmouth would be a good place to stay. You could ride your bikes on the Shining Sea Bike path to the Woods Hole Ferry and then take your bikes over to the island. Or, at that time of year you might even be able to park your car right at the ferry terminal in Woods Hole. (If the Woods Hole parking lot is full, I'm sure you'd be able to park at the next closest off-site lot at Palmer Ave and the shuttle bus will get you back and forth to the ferry with no hassles.)

Edited: 24 August 2014, 12:02
franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Falmouth in October

Which hotel or B&B would you recommend that would be within walking distance of the town? Green Harbor Waterfront Lodging looks nice - but the photos are during the summer and not sure we can use the paddle boats or kayak in October. I think we would have more activities in the town itself. Can we rent bikes at this time of the year?

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falmouth in October

Green Harbor Motel is very nice. (I asked to see a room one time, and it was really nice.) It is located on a protected inlet, so I wouldn't rule out kayaks or paddle boats. (Hotel management might have everything put away by then, but maybe not.) Unfortunately it is not "walk to town"; you'd have to drive. But, there will be plenty of room at the free public parking lot on Main Street at that time of year. (Library Lane, Falmouth)

Shoreway Acres Inn is also very nice. It is walking distance to town and has a dining room and swimming pools. Beautiful grounds and gardens and far enough away from traffic, etc., so you will have peace and quiet.

I have been seeing several posts asking about Inn on the Square. It seems to be very popular. It's right at the beginning of Main Street, so it, too is walking distance to town. I don't know much more about the Inn itself. Inn on the Square is also walking distance to the ferry off-site parking lot at Palmer Ave, so if you were interested in a day trip to Martha's Vineyard, you could walk to the shuttle bus and not pay ferry parking.

Inn on the Square is also a short walk to Corner Cycle, and I'm sure they'd be glad to rent you a bike anytime you want. They will point you towards the Shining Sea Bike Path to Woods Hole (pretty much right across the street from them) which would make for a nice activity for half-a-day or so.

If you are at all interested in waterfront lodging, check the Sea Crest Beach Resort. Just a few years ago, they underwent a multi-million dollar renovation and the place is beautiful. You would be walking distance to nothing but the beach, and that beach (Old Silver) is one of the most popular beaches on the Upper Cape. In October, you'd be able to walk from your room and sit on the beach and read quite peacefully (with a sweatshirt, of course). Rack rates at the Sea Crest are usually on the high side, but I have seen deals that bring the room prices to $150-$200. Beautiful sunsets guaranteed daily (as long as it's not cloudy) overlooking Buzzards Bay. It's worth a look, anyway.

Check the Falmouth Chamber of Commerce website. There's a lot of information there that might help you plan your trip.

Cheers,

Harry

http://www.shorewayacresinn.com/index.htm

http://www.innonthesquare.com/

http://www.cornercycle.com/

http://www.seacrestbeachhotel.com/

http://www.falmouthchamber.com/

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
94 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falmouth in October

Hi cherrus & HighSeasHarry too,

I added this note below yesterday to the Cape Cod forum where cherrus asked for info on the Oct 1-4 trip. I think Falmouth and Woods Hole seem to be a good choice.

It sounds like you need to stay in busier areas. Falmouth, Woods Hole, Sandwich and Hyannis have busy town areas to shop, eat and walk. I googled Cape Cod events for the 1st week of Oct.

- Falmouth has a JazzFest going on then and trolley tours of Falmouth and Woods Hole. Let someone else drive, you look at the area and later you can go to places you saw. Falmouth has a great Main St with galleries, shops and restaurants. Maybe find a sidewalk eatery, and people watch too. You never know who you'll see. Falmouth museum is displaying photos depicting Victorian life in Falmouth. Woods Hole and Falmouth have organized 1-3 mile walks around the village to get the feel of the area. It may be just the activity you are seeking. If you're walking through Woods Hole, get to the aquarium. It's small but neat to see the blue lobster. Or go sailing on a cat boat.

- Sandwich has their museums open at that time in Oct. It's not too far to drive and you'll get a chance to walk around there. Google Sandwich Heritage Museums. It has antique cars and carousel, Norman Rockwell art and gardens. You need to see the Sandwich Glass Museum and get a piece of cranberry glass too.

- Hyannis, a little east has the JFK museum on their Main St if you haven't seen it.

- Further on to Yarmouth Port the Capt Bangs Hallet house is open to tours during early Oct showing his lifestyle and items from his sailing. The Cape has an airbase and you may be treated to a fly over of some cool aircraft too.

When we are on the Cape, we love to head towards the water, drive all along the coastal roads, find marinas and see yachts and boats, large and small. Then along the way when we find a place to eat. The whole area is rich with history and it is easy to see. Notice the many old captain's houses and some have the dates they were built right on the front. Some are large, some are small. I always seek out history and absorb all I can. Be sure to pick up pamphlets of things to do when you get on the Cape. Have a great time!

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falmouth in October

Hi High Seas Harry and 6Sandy Feet,

Thank you so much for all the info. I did look at one of the chamber of commerce sites - or maybe events on Cape Cod and saw that on Thursday night (I think) there were jazz musicians along the mains street in Falmouth. I did not realize it was a several day festival. That sound great!

As much as I would love to be by the ocean and see the views, I have to remind myself what time of year we will be visiting and my husband would prefer to walk to town, rather than walk to a beach..

I checked out the ferry info to Martha's Vineyard - I believe it is closer than Nantucket - correct? Will we have access around the island if we do not bring a car?

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
94 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Falmouth in October

Falmouth and Woods Hole are so close to the beach and harbor. Please check out a map, especially to help you choose where to stay. From Main St Falmouth to the beach it's just about 3/4 mile. Yes, I saw that the Jazz Musicians stroll along Main St and Queens Byway on Fri 10/3 all evening, for free! That is pretty cool. I didn't recognize where Queens Byway is. Yes, Martha's Vineyard is closer than Nantucket and the ferry leaves right out of Falmouth. HighSeasHarry will need to answer ferry questions and how to get around on Martha's Vineyard. Not sure in Oct what transportation is like. It may just be taxi service.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
94 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Falmouth in October

You said you checked on ferries. Here are some websites to look for dates you will want to go. Planning ahead is the key so you don't miss departures. Again, Harry will have knowledge of ferry service.

From Falmouth http://islandqueen.com/

From Woods Hole https://www.steamshipauthority.com/

www.capecodtravelguide.com/ferry-schedules

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Falmouth in October

Thank you 6Sandyfeet for the schedule

Are Shoreway Acres and Inn on the Square the only hotels or inns within walking distance to town. I am getting worried about some of the reviews that I am reading on Trip Advisor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Falmouth in October

We are travelling to Falmouth in October and plan to stay at Beach Breeze Inn. It is well reviewed and apparently only a 15 minute walk into the town.

We had also avoided Shoreways Acres and Inn on the Square due to poor reviews (and worrying photos!)

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Falmouth in October

Have a look at the Falmouth Inn or the Red Horse Inn. Both are a short walk to town. Falmouth Inn is in the middle of Main Street, so it's almost "step out the door and you're there". (Dairy Queen is right across the street, I can recommend the medium twist cone with chocolate dip-top!)

Beach Breeze Inn might be considered "walk to town", it's a little over a half-mile to Main Street, so if that works for you.... Beach Breeze Inn is right at Surf Drive Beach. Looking out across Vineyard Sound, you'll see Martha's Vineyard. Very nice location.

In October, I would not recommend the Island Queen for a trip to Martha's Vineyard. The schedule is VERY limited. Island Queen ferry is a one-boat operation. If you miss the departure, it can be a pretty long wait for the next trip. (Maybe even not 'til tomorrow.) Steamship Authority runs several ferries and even if you miss one trip, it won't be too long for the next one and they run quite a bit later in the day than Island Queen. The Steamship Authority will also have you in the village of Woods Hole. A quintessential New England seaside community, it will take 15 minutes to walk all of Water Street, but it's very scenic and worth an hour or two to visit. You might be able to stop in to one of the buildings of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute or the Marine Biological Laboratories or you can definitely stop in to the Captain Kidd or Leeside restaurant for a glass of wine and a bowl of clam chowder. Very nice! WHOI's Ocean Science Exhibit is pretty good, too. Limited hours (and I wouldn't go out of my way just to see that) but if you're in Woods Hole and they're open, it's worth a walk through. (Free admission, donations accepted.) All the way at the end of Water Street is the Fisheries Aquarium. It's actually a fisheries research facility, but they've put together a nice little aquarium around it. If you can make feeding time for the seals in the tank out front, that's always fun. Again, limited hours and free admission and worth it if you happen to be there.

Over on the Vineyard, the Vineyard Transit Bus will get you around the island quite nicely. It's really cheap; they have one-day passes for $7.00. Hop-on, hop-off all day long for one low price. If you do get to the Vineyard, it is worth it to ride the 45 minutes or so out to see the Aquinnah Cliffs. Very scenic, google Aquinnah Cliffs and look at some pictures. (Aquinnah used to be called Gay Head; they are now the same place just different names.)

Do NOT use Martha's Vineyard taxis unless you absolutely have to. They charge PER PERSON not per trip. If the driver tells you it's 20 bucks to get somewhere and there's four of you, he'll be looking for 80 bucks when you get there.

Cheers,

Harry

http://www.falmouthinn.com/

http://www.redhorseinn.com/

http://www.vineyardtransit.com/Pages/index

whoi.edu/main/ocean-science-exhibit-center

http://aquarium.nefsc.noaa.gov/