We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

Which Gloucester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pa
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

Hello anyone out there..need advice

My boyfriend and I have reservations in Hyannis Massachusetts for the week of 8-19 to the 23rd. Then I spoke with a relative and they told me about Gloucester. Now I am second guessing our reservations..

We are looking to relax, enjoy good food, enjoy some good drinks, whale watch, and enjoy the beaches...

Any help would be appreciated

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

If you are staying for a week, I think you'll find much more to see and do staying on Cape Cod. You can visit the Cape Cod National Seashore, spend a day in Provincetown, go antique shopping on Route 6A, even take a ferry to the islands.

AlanM

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

Am I correct in thinking you'll have just 3 full days (August 20, 21 & 22)? If so -- and if you think it will be tough to fit in a day in Provincetown -- there is a whale watching cruise which sails out of Hyannis:

http://www.whales.net

I think you could find enough to do in the Gloucester area for 3 days, but the National Seashore Park's beaches ARE awesome. And for some retro fun, there's a drive-in movie theatre there in South Wellfleet :-)

wellfleetdrivein.com/drive_in_more_info.htm

pa
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

thank you for the help...I am going with the first choice which was cape cod.....

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

I'm not sure that you save any time by going on a whale watch from Hyannis rather than Provincetown. I have a feeling that what you save in driving time you spend on the boat as it takes longer to get to the whales from Hyannis than from Provincetown. Perhaps someone who is familiar with the Hyannis trip can comment on this.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises itself indicates that their typical cruise is about 3-1/2 hrs. longThe most recent post I've seen which speaks of the timeframe of the Hyannis whale watching cruise is one dated 8/15/2006 by ysuindy:

"We took the Hyannis tour a few weeks ago. About an hour out to the whales and an hour back. We were out there for about two hours.

The naturalists on board were very informative. We saw 34 whales the day we were out. The naturalists were telling us quite a bit about them as the boat moved around.

Be prepared that in addition to the admission, you need to pay $10 to park * * * We did not have any drinks or snacks to take on with us - snack bar is expensive. Taking a small cooler is a good idea. There is a vending machine in the parking lot. $1.50 for bottled drinks is better than what you will pay on the ship."

Dolphin Fleet, based in Provincetown, says you can expect to be out on the water for 3-4 hours with them; the times I've taken them, the trips have been more like 3-1/2 or 3-3/4 hours.

So, it doesn't seem there's a time difference of much significance in the cruises' durations. And much as I like the Dolphin Fleet, I figure it would take coll17 & her boyfriend an hour-and--a-half (if not more) to drive to P'town and find an often-elusive parking space in that town. Of course, the 2 of them may decide they want to make the pilgrimage to P-town for other reasons, in addition to whale watching.

pa
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

Thanks for the help, any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for the restaurants can anyone recommend any great spots for breakfast, etc......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

Since this thread appears in the Gloucester forum, you'll probably get more Hyannis recommendations by starting a new thread on the Cape Cod or Hyannis boards.

Massachusetts
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

We've vacationed for years with the kids in Yarmouth on Cape Cod. Then my wife and I rediscovered Gloucester and Good Harbor Beach in 1995 without the kids along. We've been going ever since, even bought a condo there. Cape Cod, the other Cape (Gloucester is in Cape Ann), is just to touristy and too, too crowded with traffic. Gloucester is quaint, much less crowded and the water at the beaches is crystal clear unlike Cape Cod's where the warmer water promotes the production of sea weed and algae. The water at Good Harbor Beach is cold at times. But over recent years, it reaches into the high sixties many times, like lately. The waves make for great fun and surge bore riding. The SCUBA diving can't be beat because of the rocky coves. Our grown up children even like Gloucester now.

9. Re: Gloucester or Hyannis MAsssachusetts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 05:23