We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

J R
Pittsburgh...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

We are visiting the coast for a long weekend in August, arriving in Boston on a Friday morning. We are primarily there to go on a whale watch and do some site-seeing. I had anticipated staying on Cape Cod, but I also want to make the best of our short time there, most of which will be spent on the water. So, is it worth the traffic and such to stay on Cape Cod or just find a nice spot towards Gloucester/Rockport? Are there any advantages regarding whale watching for one or the other - I do know they all go to the Stellwagen Bank.

All recommendations are greatly appreciated along with tips on where to stay and favorite whale-watching fleets. Thanks!

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

I'd like to know this too! Great question. I want to go whale watching late August or after Labor Day so is it best to go to Provincetown or is Rockport a good location? I'm leaning towards G or Rockport since it is closer to CT.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

If you go all the way to Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod, you are closer to the Whales so the trip is a bit shorter.

As for which is better ... Neither is better, only different. What are you looking for?

Cape Cod had impressive looking Sand Dunes

Cape Ann has impressive looking rocks and cliffs

Both have great beaches

Cape Cod has Provincetown

Cape Ann has Rockport

Both have good restaurants and interesting shops

Cape Cod has more people, more hotels, more entertainment, more variety and of course more traffic.

And I am sure others could add to my list. Both are good, but they are different.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 22:04
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

Here is one thing to consider. For most people CA is Rockport and gloucester which are relatively compact areas. Few go much further.

CC is a fairly large land mass with many different areas from bay beaches stretching for great distances to quaint towns like Sandwich to upscale shopping in Chatham to hustle and bustle of a port city in Hyannis to Woods Hole to National Seashore and on and on. So it really is not fair to compare and if you are going to CC, then you need to figure out why!!

san diego, ca
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

the traffic to cape cod is terrible on friday nite and returning sun eve. i don't know about cape ann.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

Traffic on 128 is horrendous on every weeknight.

Sunday traffic on rte 128 during beach season can get pretty crazy too

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

If you want to avoid the traffic, one option is to take the ferry from Boston to Provincetown in Cape Cod. You could do whale watching and enjoy the sand dunes & beaches of Provincetown without much driving.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,506 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

SilverStarfish, if you come after Labor Day, weekend traffic will be lighter both on Cape Ann and Cape Cod.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

If you arrive at Logan on a Friday morning and are on the road by early afternoon, you should not hit much traffic going to Cape Ann if you take Route 1 north to Route 128 north. On summer Fridays, Route 1 traffic starts to get heavy by mid-afternoon, but I generally find Route 128 ok from Lynnfield/Peabody to Cape Ann. I agree that on Sunday afternoons beach traffic can make for slow going on Route 128.

Reading...
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

It depends on what you are looking for. ........

To me....

Cape Cod ....more sand dunes and beaches, more people, more traffic, more "hip"...vacation/visitor feeling

Cape Ann.....more working water fronts, quiet layback, has nice beaches too, family and friends feeling not as fancy (and my favorite hotel Atlantis Oceanfront)

We chose to switch to Cape Ann several years ago because of the whale watching and we feel "at home" there.

As far as whaling watching goes it depends on the year/season - in short it depends are where the whales are. There are two main whaling locations Jeffrey's ledge which is to the North of Gloucester and Stellwagon which is to the South and East of Gloucester. (You can look at them on Google Earth.) Since Gloucester was in the middle, we choose Gloucester. Visit Capt. Bill and Sons facebook for daily pictures.

Although technically not Cape Ann, Salem is an easy drive (or train ride) and day's visit.

10. Re: Cape Cod or Cape Ann?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 18:16